Chapter 2

Everleigh

"You must be Carter." I said with a fake smile as I tried not to scowl. This guy has kept me waiting for a good twenty minutes.

He pulled the chair back and sat down. He simply opened and scanned through the menu quickly before looking at me.

"Do you know what you would like to order?" he asked. His tone was cold and distant.

I wanted to roll my eyes at him. This guy has to be the worse date for me.

"Isn't this what you wanted?" My conscious asked me. "Why are you getting upset with his behavior?"

I don't know what I was expecting for today's date. I thought I would be meeting those guy who pretends to be chivalrous for the sake of first impression.

"Maybe just a drink?" I said. I'm not planning to drag this date as this man clearly seem to have no interest in it.

For the first time he made eye-contact with me and I felt a weird feeling in my stomach as I realized how light his eyes colour were. Maybe I'm just hungry. I tell myself.

His face had the same impassive look on it. I couldn't tell what he was thinking "And have my grandpa chew my ears off?" I heard him muttered quietly as his eyes fell on the menu. "Would you like salmon or steak?"

"Maybe salmon." I said quietly as the awkwardness started to get to me.

"Wine should be fine?" he asked.

"Just water." I said.

He ignored me and placed order for two glasses of expensive wine.

If you're going to ignore my request why did you asked if I would like wine. I internally scowled.

As soon as the order was placed his focus was on his phone. Good for me as I don't have to think of questions or conversations to bring up on this date. So far I'm loving this date. This has to be the most easiest date, ever.

While his focus was on the phone I decided to shift my focus to the breathtaking view of the city. The view looks great from this height of the building. The city was filled with lights and crowds. For a minute I forgot I even had a company until the server interrupted us and placed the glasses of wine on our table.

I quietly thanked the server and once they left we fell into that silence again. I didn't know if I should start a conversation or let the silence between us to continue.

I was surprise when he spoke, "I'm going to be very honest with you. I'm only here because I was forced to and not because I'm interested in you."

"Likewise." I said to him as he looked surprise by my word. "Let's just finish our dinner and go our separate way."

He nodded his head and didn't say anything after that. It was comforting to know that I didn't have to do much on this date but at the same time I was nervous as I might have to go on another date!

"I will pay for the meal." I tell him after our dessert.

He raised one of his eyebrow at me.

"As a thank you." I give him a genuine smile this time. "I really had a wonderful time today." I was not being sarcastic. I was very truthful. The dinner wasn't as awkward as I thought it would be.

"I don't want to owe you anything." he tells me.

"You're not owing me anything." I said.

"I don't want you to ask me out on another date with the excuse of me paying for the next meal."

"I promise. I won't" I tell him.

His face remained impassive. "I still don't like the idea of you paying. I will pay and that's settle." his tone was firm.

I rolled my eyes at him. "I promise I won't ask you out and also what's wrong with me paying for our meals?"

"Just don't argue with me." he said.

"Why shouldn't I?" I challenged him.

Even though he was scowling, he still looked perfectly handsome. He decided to ignore me and called the server for the bill.

"The bill has been paid." they announced.

For a second I caught him looking confused. His eyebrow knit together as if he is thinking and as quickly as that emotion came; it was gone.

"Miss. Parker already paid the bill." The server explained. I have excused myself to go use the washroom when I knew we were close to done and paid our bills.

The murderous look that he give me was slightly discomforting.

"Just refund her the money." he ordered.

"All you have to do is say thank you." I said shrugging as I signaled the server to quickly leave the table.

He pursed his lip as he looked thoughtful for a minute.

"or you could do me a favour-" I started.

"I'm not doing anyone any favour." his tone was icy.

"All you have to do is tell my aunt that I was your worse date and that you think I shouldn't be going on blind dates." I pleaded.

"And make myself look bad?" he asked.

"How will that make you look bad?" I asked confused.

"I have had worse dates than this." he tells me.

"so you do think today is one of your worse date? We didn't even do anything." I said.

"Are you always like this?"

"Like what?"

"Inquisitive. Always asking questions. Did anyone tell you that kind of behaviour could be annoying?"

"I haven't even showed you my inquisitive side yet." I said in defense.

"I'm not interested to see that side."

"It's not that bad." I said.

"You're talking way too much."

"Then stop replying or commenting back." I tell him.

For the first time since we met this evening I heard him chuckled, then later he smiled at me. I don't know if he knows he has a beautiful smile. His whole face lights up and so does his eyes, it has a spark in it.

"I should do that." he said but it sounded sarcastic.

"We should leave now." I said.

"What's the rush?" he asked.

"Wasn't that your plan to rush the dinner and get out?" I questioned him. "Why are we having a conversation when our date is coming to an end?"

"I wasn't in a rush to end our date." he said and I don't know if he is being sarcastic or is being serious about the situation.

"Didn't seem like that ten minutes ago." I remarked.

"Would you like to have some coffee?" he asked.

"I thought we decided to go our separate way after dinner." I reminded him.

"Technically we're still having dinner." he said as he called our server back who quickly rushed back to our table.

"I don't drink coffee." I said truthfully.

"That's fine. How about some juice?"

Is he being serious right now?  I thought to myself.

Before I could object he decided to order a cup of coffee and orange juice for me.

And here I thought he didn't have time to see my inquisitive side. I thought to myself as I stared at the man in front of me.

What is he plotting in his head, now?

Author's Note: Hello readers, thank you for your support. Please add this book to your reading lists for notification when there is a new update. Hope you enjoyed the chapter. Happy readings!