13. Of Hunger

Oh, my, my! She's aroused. Braless? Or a shelf bra, like Gillian used to wear with her low-cuts and plunging necklines? Whatever, they're standing proud. Very proud. And if I don't stop looking, so will I be. Focus on the dinner. Save possibilities for a more private setting.

A few bites and sips later, when I had nearly finished the scallops, and things below had settled, my thoughts returned to Roxy's arousal. A quick glance confirmed that her nipples had lost their prominence. What had that been about? Extrapolating from my subtle invitation to have her demonstrate her cooking? That means home – and what might evolve. She may well be as hungry as I am.

My place or hers? Wherever. Need to get my mind out of here. To where? Anywhere to stop straining my trousers. "Might I take you sailing tomorrow, Roxy?"

Her eyes stretched wide as she bobbed her head and put a finger to her mouth until she finished her bite. "I would love that, Xander."

"Excellent! What time works for you?"

"I have a few commitments first thing in the morning, but I can arrange to be free from ten-thirty onward."

"Wonderful. We can sail across to anchor in Plumper Cove, and you can demonstrate searing scallops for lunch."

She paused her last bite short of her mouth. "Ooh, sounds lovely. I can stop at Urban Fare and pick up the scallops, mushrooms, garlic and shallots. I want to see if I can replicate this."

We discussed what utensils, staples and condiments I have aboard and what else might be needed. Then as we talked about when and where to meet, the busboy arrived to clear our places, and he was soon followed by the sommelier and the waiter.

"Summerhill Chardonnay Icewine 2014," the sommelier said as she presented the bottle to Roxy. "The grand award winner in this year's Chardonnay du Monde. We usually serve Mr Dunstrom a Château d'Yquem with foie gras, but I've found this to be equally exciting, and it follows our chardonnay theme."

I watched her shrug and look at me. "I hope you don't mind, sir."

"No, not at all. It might help break me out of some of my unchanging routine."

When the sommelier had poured and left, I pointed to our plates. "To ease your concern, Roxy, this foie gras is SPCA approved – free-range geese with no force-feeding. Limitless food, but it's their choice how much they eat."

"I had assumed that with the waiter's mention of Lasquiti Island. That's what I use for my torchons."

"Oh, my! You cook this, as well?"

"It's not cooked – well, except for a final immersion in boiling water for a minute and a half or so to firm it."

So unassuming. What else hides behind that exquisite face? "You're far more complex and intriguing than your profile indicates, Roxy."

"As are you, Xander." She picked up her glass and swirled it. "I'm excited to explore more of you."

Ummm! Subtle innuendo. Gorgeous, adventurous, talented and hot. Darn, there it goes again. Concentrate on enjoying dinner. Time for that later.

"Oh, wow! Such an intense bouquet. Honey, apricot, and very ripe pears. Gooseberries. What else, Xander?"

"Hmmm. Let me look." I lifted my glass and swirled it as I brought it to my nose. "I think you got them all – though now a hint of peaches."

"I've never had a white wine with foie gras."

"With a white such as this, it's one of the classic wine and food pairings. What do you usually have?"

"In better times, a mature St-Emilion or Pomerol, but these days, an Argentinian malbec or a Chilean pinot noir."

"Then you'll be amazed by this, Roxy. Take a sip."

I enjoyed the look on her face as she savoured. Then she shook her head and looked me in the eyes. "It's sweet. Intensely sweet, but it has such a clean, uncloying finish. This goes with the foie gras?"

"Yes, and very well. It's such a dichotomy – sweet and fruity with fatty and savoury. It doesn't make logical sense, but this combination sings a superb harmony on the palate. Try it."

I watched Roxy slice a piece from her disk of foie gras and place it on a small toast point. Then after adding a bit of huckleberry purée, she lifted it to her lips, gazing into my eyes as she tongue-flicked it before popping it into her mouth, moaning. Then adding a sip of wine, she moaned again – louder as she held her stare and smiled.

Oh, God. Such delightful passion. There it goes again.