21. Finding Affinities

Once we had cleared False Creek and were past the Kitsilano Coast Guard station, I had Roxy hold Tastevin up into the westerly breeze while I pulled out the main and unfurled the jib and staysail.

"Now, fall off to starboard while I trim. See if the wind will allow a course between the cardinal buoy and the anchored ships."

"So simple, Xander. Just like mine – except I don't have a third sail – only a jib and main." She chuckled. "Nor do I have someone to steer while I pull them out. Have to lock the wheel until she's settled on a course and the Hydrovane takes over the steering."

"Yeah, I use the electric until I set up the vane. But I prefer this arrangement; you're far more beautiful than the autopilot." Hmmm! Inappropriate?

I watched her cheeks flush. Yeah, likely. Do I apologise? Or move on? "Sorry, Roxy. That was too forward of me."

"No, not at all. I'm flattered." She chuckled. "Even if it's a bit hokey."

"Yeah, you must get that a lot."

"From none who interest me."

Oh, darn! Back to square one.

After a long pause, she added. "Present company excluded."

"Ummm! This pleases me." I pointed toward the starboard settee. "You may sit and relax from the helm, now. I'll swivel the chartplotter around, and we can tweak the autopilot with the remote."

"Not using the Hydrovane?"

"I prefer the electric in tight quarters. More precise and easier to correct in wind shifts. Often flukey passing the anchored ships. May I pull you another espresso?"

"I'm super-caffeinated. Several before I left. But go ahead; I won't feel left out."

"Thanks, but I'm topped up, as well."

We settled into the deep cushions of the settee, remaining silent for a long while as we enjoyed the warm breeze and the lulling lift and fall of the waves. At least, I'm enjoying this. Is she?

Yeah, the serene look on her face. Likely reliving past adventures, much as I do.

"Have you photos of your voyage, Xander?"

"Ummm! Thousands. Hundreds of thousands – three hundred and fifteen thousand to be precise."

"Oh, my!" She pointed to my phone. "Any in there?"

"Yes, a selection of the most memorable."

"Oooh! May I see some?"

"Certainly." I stood and did a full horizon sweep, checked the chartplotter, switched on the radar and AIS overlays and set the proximity alarms. Then I picked up my phone and sat beside her. Not too close, lest she thinks I'm being forward.

As I scrolled through the photos, pausing at a few to add verbal captions, she nestled to my side, causing a tingling to spread. Down, boy. Too soon for that.

Then she tapped my hand. "Oh, wow! Go back."

I flipped back. "Yeah, the classic shot. Same as in the 1913 National Geographic feature article. That's why we posed there."

"Truly classic, Xander. The remains of the townsite spread out below and Machu Picchu Peak in the background."

"That's actually Huayna Picchu – a common mistake. The summit of Macchu Picchu is behind the camera, and it's far less spectacular."

"Oh! Huayna? Was it named for my many-greats-grandfather?"

"I've never sorted that. Whether it was named after him or he took the name. Anyway, the summit was the domain of the high priests, and the climb to it was listed as one of the three most dangerous hikes in the world when we did it."

"And Gillian went along with you. Gutsy woman."

"I love adventurous women, Roxy. And your Aleutians voyage shows you're as adventurous, if not more so."

She snuggled closer, a wondrous expression on her face as she asked, "Can you AirDrop that one to me?"

"Yes, certainly. Switch on your phone. Let me see if mine can find it."

She stood and tapped her pockets. "These jeans are too tight for it. I'll go get it from my backpack."

Oh, God! Definitely braless. And the way her butt rolls as she walks. I reached down and shifted the growing furniture.