-- twelve --

Despite Ms. Moreno's help—and her confirmation that they were all fucked—Kera wasn't sure if she could trust her. She knew too much; and how was she able to divulge what she knew without getting in trouble? For someone who'd remained on the "good side" and hadn't trespassed, she was too well-versed in what was supposed to happen to those stuck in Paradise, as they'd called it.

Were all professors given a dossier with all sorts of messed up information about the island, before taking off? Was that how she was able to tell them all this? Was she the only one with a semblance of a heart, willing to give more explanations to the poor idiots who'd gotten themselves caught?

How many times had she participated in this atrocious, student-trafficking scheme?

For someone so calm, she didn't inspire much confidence in Kera. Why would she let this happen, if she were so opposed to it? That was what she'd sounded like, looked like—her voice was laced with concern and irritation, especially when speaking of the government. She'd been uncomfortable, shifting about, sweating, struggling to abandon the group to its fate.

And Mr. Reynolds—damn him! Kera's fists tightened at the thought of his nonchalance, of how easily he'd ditched them to return to the safety of his cabin, uncaring what happened next, unwilling to inform them of much else aside from "this is your new life, deal with it." Uncaring that he'd left his students in the clutches of some tropical—and likely angry—gods.

Gods.

Kera shivered. Miles might have had a hard time swallowing this news, but Kera could picture it. Island gods were often ruthless; at least those she'd studied. Obscure texts from isolated cultures around the world were available to her at Valence, and she'd devoured them; today, she was thankful she had. Because she seemed to be the only one taking their situation seriously and comprehending that they were, most definitely, screwed. If they'd been left to these gods as a sacrifice, or to feed them... she had little hope that they'd remain alive on this island.

And more so because I didn't notice any other students with us, those who'd been locked here before us; unless they were hiding.

She peered through branches and bristling leaves, expecting to see a few sets of human eyes watching them, waiting for the right moment to pop out and educate them on how to survive here.

While she glimpsed the bushes, she tuned in and out of the conversation the others were having.

"... okay but what—we leave? Go back to the beach?" Jessa was waving her arms about and snarling at Patrek, who'd tipped backward as if afraid she'd bite his nose off. "That's where we all blacked out and washed up on the sand all fucked up! No, I don't want to. I'm staying here." She huffed and stomped off to kick at a large root in the dirt.

"Maybe we stay in the forest," said Miles, still angled against the tree, close to the barrier. He glanced at the sparkles from time to time, squinting, scrutinizing, but shook his head and sighed. "It's the safest. And it's away from the water."

Kera's eyes widened—his comment brought her into the conversation as she recalled the growls and ominous chills she'd gotten when they'd approached the exit; no, the forest wasn't safe.

"Uh, have you forgotten the weird noises I heard? There are things in here with us. I don't think it's the safest."

"Then what do you suggest?" Miles threw his arms up and looked ready to storm up to her; but he remained rooted in his spot, his gaze turning dark. "The beach is dangerous, the woods are dangerous. We can't get out, but we can't stay here, can we? This place is starting to reek of death."