-- seventeen --

The cabin's comforts were, to Kera's surprise, above average. Stainless steel countertops, upgraded appliances—there was even a washer and dryer—and Egyptian cotton sheets. There were pantries filled with goods, a fridge loaded with fruits and vegetables, and a breathtaking view from the small balcony. At least, it would have been breathtaking were it not a reminder of Kera's deadly situation.

These gods have power, all right—and lots of money?

Every time she looked out the window, another tear gathered at her lash-line. Another pang pinched inside her stomach. Another shudder shattered down her spine. She was trapped, with no way out. Trapped with individuals who were nothing like her and who would, most likely, strike her at the first sign of weakness, at the first mention of her hesitation. If she brought the group down—and she had no doubt she would—they'd use their inherent violence to batter her to death. Then she'd end up as one of those creatures in the cave—

"Hey." Miles settled beside her on the wooden bench on the balcony. The sun was setting, spreading tendrils of orange and grapefruit up into the slowly fading sky. "You okay?"

Kera shrugged, tensing at his touch. With all that had happened, and all they didn't remember, she still wasn't sure how to feel with Miles around. Protected, but vulnerable; safe, but her heart easily accessible. He was so tall and handsome and inspired so much trust, and created so many feelings within her—but those feelings were what had landed her in this predicament.

I hate my heart.

"That's a loaded question," she said, bringing her cup of hot chocolate to her lips. The taste was luxurious like silk, and authentic—the tin box said the cocoa was local—and yet Kera craved to spit it all out at the realization that she was enjoying it. She didn't want to enjoy anything from this place, ever. "I don't think I'll ever be okay."

Miles' gulp was so loud it drew Kera to twist to look at him. "Because of... well, what we..."

Kera set the mug down and hugged herself. It wasn't cold out, yet a chill that had nothing to do with the temperature was slipping up and down her arms. Her teeth clattered.

"There's that, but it's more because of the situation. I don't want to be here, and I shouldn't be."

"Well," Miles scoffed, "I mean, I didn't want it to get to this, but I did tell you to not follow us—"

"—obviously I had to, didn't I?" Kera shot up from her seat and waved her arms about. "Look what you guys got yourselves into! If I hadn't followed, if I hadn't come—"

Miles' abrupt standing stopped her from exploding. He cocked his head, scanning her. There was a slight amusement in the quirking of his lips, and yet his eyes remained solemn, his skin a smooth brown from the sun's slow descent behind him. He'd shaved his scruff off once they'd gotten acquainted with their cabin.

"If you hadn't come... what? You think that would have changed anything? We'd still be here, we'd still have chosen this." He huffed. "And anyway, like I said, you shouldn't have. But why did you?" He folded his arms. "What made you feel so responsible for us? Why take that risk?"

Kera's mouth opened, then snapped shut as she glanced down at her bare feet. "I..." She sucked in a breath and lifted her chin. "It was for you. I didn't want you getting in trouble, or being harmed. See, you said something on that beach, before we all blacked out. Not sure if you remember—"

"—that there was no way I'd never notice those eyes?" His eyebrows raised as he lowered his arms to his sides. "Oh, I remember. I meant it."

Kera swallowed, thankful the cocoa had imprinted on her tongue and was masking the fickle flavor of her fear.