Eleven

Early October

     Early October. 2016

Wrapped in a powder blue jacket, a hoodie underneath it and big socks in my doc martens, I sat on the benches and watched Phoenix and his teammates gliding around the ice. The arena echoed with the sound of sticks hitting the puck, slapping the ice, shouts of encouragement and their coach critiquing their form.

Throughout the practice, I found myself smiling at his skill, clapping for his goals, admiring his physique.

It was a given that I'd crushed on hockey players in the past. I'd been watching the sport since I could hold my own head up. It was their strength, their attitude, the way they carried themselves and the smug looks they got when they were mouthing off at each other.

Phoenix was no exception to that attraction. His thick dark lashes framed a confident gaze and I thought about how his stubble felt against my skin when he kissed my forehead. His jaw clenched as he leaned over, stick in hand and talked to his teammates.

Even during a practice, the testosterone was high and they laughed whenever someone got checked into the wall, or shoved from behind, or sworn at. It wasn't as aggressive as a real game of course, all of this was playful and the time flew watching Phoenix in his element.

They had a game against the Canucks last night, which brought the whole team into town. Soon, Phoenix would be on the road more than he was home.

It was unusual for him to reside in Vancouver full time, but he'd always remained close to his sister.

"Kinny," Leighton came flying toward the exit, slowing down just in time to step off the ice and into the stadium seating. "You look snug. How's Sadie?"

My brow furrowed. "Fine. You two know each other?"

"I'd like to know her more," he grinned.

Phoenix walked off the ice then, whipping off his helmet and spitting his mouth guard into it.

"Shut up, Lei," he smacked the back of his friends shoulder and sat down next to me.

"She's a mom," I said, sure he must know that.

After last nights argument, I liked the thought of Sadie meeting someone new. However, I wasn't sure Leighton was the settle down and get serious with a step daughter sort of person. To be fair, I didn't know him well enough to voice that concern out loud.

"She's a MILF," Leighton said, pulling off his helmet.

"Just stop," Phoenix shook his head, disappointment in his stare.

"I mean, she is," I agreed. "She could be down for a good time, I'll have a chat to her."

Leighton's face lit up with surprise and excitement.

As more teammates filed off the ice, I was greeted, smiled at, I was given fist bumps and high fives and by the time I'd said hello to half of the team, I was overwhelmed with warmth and inclusiveness. No one crowded me or expected a conversation, it was enough just to know that I was cared about and people were pleased to see me there.