twenty-seven

Early November

Early November. 2016

Phoenix took me on the most incredible date. It was on par with the one in the treehouse, except this one didn't end up with his head between my legs.

I couldn't tell how I felt about that. Whether I was relieved and flattered that he was taking things slowly, as I'd requested. Or disappointed because he really knew what he was doing down there.

He'd swayed my opinion on oral sex somewhat. I went from detesting it and feeling nervous at the thought of someone ever going down there, to missing his articulate tongue strokes and masterful mouth.

Phoenix took me home after we danced on the ice. He brought me an ice cream, stopped at the door and then kissed me goodnight and I was aching as I sat inside the apartment all alone, wishing I'd invited him in. Wondering if I should call him and ask him to come back.

He wanted to prove to me that he could respect my wishes and boundaries, he'd been doing that for the last month and a bit. It wasn't like I could be disappointed, I was the one that asked if we could pump the breaks after I found out that we were engaged.

Once again, I went into our bedroom, sat down on the bed and opened the side table. I'd been staring at this beautiful ring a lot ever since I found it hiding. It'd been on the tip of my tongue to ask Phoenix about it tonight.

Find out why it hadn't been on my finger when he proposed. There was one person who would know. Ash was there, from what she'd said when I went to her room the morning after I found out. I didn't ask for more details at the time because it'd been too much to hear. But I think a few more pieces of the puzzle were in order at this point.

Slipping the ring back into it's velvet box, I decided I'd go and see her tomorrow. It was time for us to have coffee anyway and she didn't have work on a Saturday morning.

A while later, as I was settling into bed with a candle burning, I got a text from Sadie.

Dad wants to do Thanksgiving in Toronto. You up for it?

Phone above me, I sucked on my cheek, thinking. I hadn't seen dad in what felt like forever. He called me once in a while, had a brief chat with me about how I was getting on and then he left me to it. It'd be nice to spend some real time with him.

Yeah. I'd like that.

Sadie sent back another quick text, followed by two more.

Oh. You responded.

Aren't you supposed to be on a date with Phoenix?

Shouldn't he be deep init right now?

He was a gentleman, dropped me at the door with an ice cream and a goodnight kiss. He also asked me to go to the game tomorrow night but, I said I might be busy.