Chapter 29

The sensation was contradictory. Coldness at the loss of our connection battled against a surge of peaceful fulfillment I assumed came from the bargain ending. What I didn't understand was why the bargain had ended when I had yet to meet the terms.

But as Arden barrelled down the garden path towards us, it was a question that would have to be put aside. For now. Rafe pushed himself up then wrapped his arms around me to help me to my feet. He let go almost immediately.

Arden hit me like a train, enveloping me in his strong arms. His shirt was damp, and his chest heaved as he tried to catch his breath.

"Steady with her Arden. Steady." Rafe reached an arm out as if he'd pull Arden away, but then he clenched his fist and let it fall back by his side.

Arden pulled back, hands on my shoulders. "Why do I have to be steady?" Then his eyes locked onto the scene behind, eyes widening. "What the fuck happened to the house?" He asked in a shaky voice.

"I did."

"You did?"

"Yep. I went straight through it like a wrecking ball." I could joke about it now with bodies littering the garden and my own death a murky memory.

Arden looked to Rafe for confirmation, not that he was there to witness it either. Rafe nodded anyway.

"But there's not a mark on you."

I swallowed. There would never be the words to describe what he had done for me, tonight and the first night I set eyes on him. "Thanks to Rafe."

Arden's finger tips dug into my shoulders a little, but then he sighed and half-angled his head towards Rafe. "Thank you."

When I looked to him to offer my own thanks, as pitiful as it would be, I found Rafe gazing at his arm. It glowed, as it always did when his duty called, although instead of gold, silver ran the length of it.

I moved away from Arden. "What is it?"

Rafe's face paled. "The archangels. They are summoning me."

"Call screen," said Arden.

"I don't know what that is," Rafe replied. "I cannot put it off any longer."

I lunged forward, lacing my fingers through his, my skin drenched in metallic hues. "Please don't go." He lowered his head and placed a light kiss on the pulse point on the inside of my wrist.

"I will be back as soon as I can," his gaze went up and over my head. "Look after her."

I tutted. "I can lo-"

"Look after yourself, yes I know. I'll see you soon." Rafe disappeared into a slit of white light.

Together, Arden and I surveyed the scene. Plumes of smoke merged with the sky; the bricks that once formed my childhood home were now crumbs and dust across the grass. It was strange really, death and destruction was all around, but I was awash with a cool calmess.

"What do we do now?"

My attention landed on the two bodies sprawled on the lawn. "We have witches to burn."

A dark sky still loomed overhead by the time Arden and I had collected enough wood to form piles large enough, and set the bodies alight. We didn't have time to wait for them to turn to ash. I was not only eager to find Fawn, but Mrs Horton too. Perhaps she could explain why my hand had combust into flames.