PROMENADE

*re-edited*

Marie awoke from her sleep long before Bea entered her room. She stared out the clean window, a neutral expression playing on her face as she recalled Benedict's thumb rubbing her palm. She remembered his words too. They felt like scars, whip lashes still burning her skin.

She was unloveable. 

The night ended soon after the incident with the Cowper's, an unhinged Marie leaving to find her chaperone, and Benedict to go and comfort Daphne who'd argued with the Duke over marriage. Bea knocked and waited a few seconds before walking into the room, stopping by the door when she noticed Marie staring out, the sun glimmering on her cheekbones. 

Birds flocked across the Ton, making Marie's lips upturn. She wanted to be a bird; an albatross. Soaring across the sea for evermore. 

"Please, Marie, you are in your sleepwear, it would be improper for you to be seen," Bea scolded, placing a warmed blanket over Marie's freckled shoulders as she grabbed a hairbrush. "Bea?" Marie asked, her tone cool and relaxed whilst she sat, watching the window. 

"Please send an invitation over to Daphne Bridgerton; I wish to promenade with her today," Marie told her, letting the sun shine on her closed eyelids. 

"Of course Ma'am," Bea nodded sturdily, finishing Marie's hair soon after. Marie dressed by herself, grinning when she got a reply of agreement from the Bridgerton household. "Bertie's offer has been declined, Viscount Bridgerton will be chaperoning instead. It was insisted," Bea bowed and left the room. Marie rolled her deep eyes when she slipped her feet into some tight shoes. 

►Marie's hair

►Marie's hair

► Marie's dress

► Marie's dress

Marie stifled a laugh when she noticed Anthony's upset face. "I had duties to attend to today, not chaperone," He told Marie sternly who looked at him with a soft smile. "Then why did you insist, Viscount? I told you in my letter that Bertie would be fine chaperoning us," She chuckled. Shaking her head, she held her dress up so the mint material did not dirty.