4 - Spell

"What are you doing?" I jumped, my mom's voice surprising me.

I turned to her. Her gaze went down to the spell book I was holding and went back up to look at me. "Honey, you know you suck at casting spells." she deadpanned. "remember when you tried to turn a cup of water cold but it boiled instead? And when you tried to style your brother's hair with a spell but it grew so long instead he looked like the guy version of rapunzel? we couldn't stop calling him rapunzel for a year." she snickered. "oh, and remember when-"

"Mom~" I whined as she looked at me amused. I sighed. "I know, I know. I'm...I'm just..uhm.. practicing?"

"Do you want me to help?"

"No!" she frowned at me as I  realized I was being suspicious with how I'm acting. "I mean, no mom its okay. I know what to do and I know you're busy" I gave her an innocent smile.

Her eyes narrowed at me but then she smiled right after "okay. Just make sure you don't blow up the house" she laughed as she turned her back walking away and I laughed nervously with her, remembering the time when I accidentally blew up the frog I was practicing spells with. I was trying to change it's color but it blew up instead. I remember screaming so loud and I cried for a week with the guilt for murdering an innocent frog. That incident made me stop practicing spells. Rest in peace, froggy.

I looked down at the book and the bracelet I got when I was young.

I'm a half witch so I can do spells too. Just not as good as a pure blooded witch but I think I can do simple spells like this one.

I opened the book to the page where it says "Scent Concealing Spell". I just need the book, an object I possess (which I decided to be the bracelet that I've somehow gotten when I was a kid), and a drop of my blood.

I positioned myself on the floor of my room, holding the book on my left hand and placing the bracelet on the floor in front of me with my right hand. I let my canines descend and pricked my finger with it before letting a drop of blood fall to my bracelet. I place my right hand over it and chanted the words from the book. You'll know the spell worked if the drop of blood disappears.

And it did. I smiled so wide my face was gonna rip.

...

...

...

"You smell different" I looked at my brother, Brent, as he scrunched his nose at me
We're currently eating breakfast and I'm sitting infront of him.

"I know" I smiled, proud of myself for my last night's successful operation of concealing my scent. I'm now wearing the bracelet I casted the spell on.

Brent just scrunched his forehead at me like he's confused of something and then continued eating his pancakes. I ignored his look and just ate my breakfast happily.

After breakfast, I walked my way to school. It's close to our house so I can just walk. I entered the school confidently, knowing I won't be chased today and I don't have to hide. Since I concealed my scent, its like Im not even here.

My confidence slowly changed into confusion when I noticed people staring at me and then whispering to their friends.

I frowned. People shouldn't even be noticing me because I concealed my scent.

.

Wait a minute

"you smell different" my brother's voice echoed in my mind

Wait a damn minute!

I'm not supposed to smell anything! What did he mean by different? For me, I still smell the same coz I'm the wearer of the bracelet but what do the others smell on me? They're not even supposed to smell anything on me!

I decided to ignore the stares and proceeded to my locker thinking smelling different is better than smelling like myself and having to hide away from the jerk all the time or hurting my nose for spraying excessive perfume.

I don't give a shit as long as I don't smell like shit.

Wait, what if I smell like shit?

Nah, that can't be. My brother would've specifically told me I smell like shit.

"what did you do?" my pondering was disturbed when I heard the jerk's voice behind me. I rolled my eyes. Here we go again.

"fuck off" I closed my locker after gathering everything I need and faced him.

He was smirking. This handsome creep.

I gasped when he suddenly grabbed my waist and pulled me close, my hands landing on his toned chest. He leaned down and sniffed my neck, then I felt his lips near my ear as he whispered

"You smell better with my scent on you"

I was frozen and flustered, feeling my face heat up. His words processing slowly in my brain.

I wasn't even able to react fast enough when he leaned back and quickly draw something on my forehead with a sharpie while still holding me by my waist.

I was still frozen when he let go of me, him still smirking. He winked at me before walking away as I stare dumbfouded at his retreating back.

"You smell better with my scent on you"

"-better with my scent on you"

"- my scent on you"

"- my scent -"

"-on you"

Fucking hell!