Chapter 7: "I Don't Even Know You"

There was no way he would let his mate get away without a kiss. Connor craved Jamie like nothing he had ever wanted in his life, and even though he didn't want to spook his mate, he just had to.

He had to taste.

So he pushed his face into Jamie's, rubbing his cheek against his, feeling how soft Jamie's skin was, rubbing that amazing smell into his own pores, and just swimming in his own and his mate's pheromones.

Connor could swear that Jamie wanted this, by the way he didn't pull away, by the way he whimpered when Connor's hand found his waist, by the way his mate had closed his eyes, hopefully feeling everything Connor felt.

Fuck. This was heaven.

Connor made the adjustment and Jamie's lips tasted like... home. They tasted like something that was his.

Connor pulled Jamie's chair toward him, making a godawful sound, but he didn't care, and he pressed his mouth firmer against Jamie's, his tongue licking his top lip, then his bottom, nipping at the flesh, moaning, and Jamie was no better. He made these delicious little sounds that made Connor painfully hard.

Finally, Jamie opened his mouth, giving Connor permission to enter the place he wanted to live in. He wanted to live inside Jamie, wanted to have him in any way he could get him. He kissed Jamie thoroughly, and Jamie responded in earnest, kissing him back, licking and nipping, and moaning, making Connor so hard he could hammer nails with his cock.

Fuck.

He had the most precious angel in his arms and all he wanted was to keep him, to show the world who he belonged to. Connor's wolf growled, his teeth elongated, and Jamie's responded immediately. They both wanted this to happen, but Jamie suddenly pulled away, leaving Connor empty.

Jamie shook his head. "Sorry, I didn't mean to – I just –" He hugged his own body like he was trying to protect himself.

Feeling bad about scaring his mate, Connor took his face and looked into his eyes. "I'm sorry if I scared you. We can wait as long as you want."

Jamie shook his head. "I don't even know you."

"But you know who I am, don't you?" Connor said and looked into Jamie's eyes, communicating without words. I am your mate. I love you and want to protect you. I won't let you go, not ever. You are mine. Forever.

Jamie shuddered. "You don't know me either."

"I know everything I need to know."

Jamie looked away from Connor, breaking their connection. "I have to think about this. I don't know if I can just... accept it."

Connor frowned. "What do you mean?"

"I don't like things that are out of my control."

"Jamie," Connor sighed. "This is what I've been trying to tell you. This thing between us, is up to you. You hold the reins, baby."

Jamie bit his lip, but said nothing.

"I'm sorry, this is too much. I'll let you think about it."

It took everything out of Connor to leave his mate behind and to make his way back to his empty bed, afraid that he had scared Jamie away for good. All these years he had thought that his mate couldn't wait to meet him either. He had thought that it would be a joyful reunion. Instead, he found a mate who not only was promised to someone else, but also didn't believe in true mates as deeply as Connor did. Connor had always wanted it more than anything, but it seemed Jamie might not even believe in it.

Well, fuck a duck.

This was getting more and more complicated, and they had just now met.

***