fourteen

BEAUTIFUL MESS

BEAUTIFUL MESS.
chapter fourteen.

HUNTER NEVER LET THE PANIC take over her after realizing their was a live round embedded into this man's thigh

HUNTER NEVER LET THE PANIC take over her after realizing their was a live round embedded into this man's thigh. Hunter and Eddie explained to both their Captain and Buck that there was a proximity fuse that stop the grenade from fully detonating until it traveled far enough.

The bomb squad leader explained the military would be there within the hour to defuse it. "He doesn't have an hour," buck replied.

"I can do it," Eddie and Hunter said at the same time.

"If he doesn't go to surgery soon, he'll die," Eddie argued.

"You've done this before?" Bobby asked

"Well, none of the guys I served with were dumb enough to shoot a live round in themselves, but I'm familiar with the ordnance," he said sarcastically.

"Hunt?" Bobby asked.

"I know my way around a bomb," she shrugged, not feeling the need to elaborate further. It wasn't necessary to explain Cody was a bomb technician within the army, it wasn't important at the moment.

"I'm in," buck said, not wanting to be left out.

The bomb squad had equiped the three firefighters with vests that in reality wouldn't do much of the grenade detonated. "You get that thing out of him, put it in here and get the hell away from it. Let us deal with it," the bomb squad technician said.

"Copy that. See you inside," Eddie said before walking away

"All right, listen, Buck, you don't have to do this," Bobby assured him one last time. Not that Hunter had noticed, but Buck in that vest- his tattoo and arms popping- was a sight.

"You think I'm gonna let the new guy have all the fun? Besides, you wanted us to bond. We might end up real close," Hunter laughed as she and buck walked away to join Eddie in the ambulance.

"How you feeling there, Charlie?"

"Like a world-class idiot. My wife, if she was still alive, she'd be here now saying, "I told you so." Well, maybe she'll be able to tell me in person in about a minute."