2. Two

Character Inspiration of Rosie above

Before I could make another peep Teo had called for a women named Magda. Through the double doors of the living room in walked a short old lady already in her pajamas for the night. "Por favor (please), take her to her room Magda." Teo ordered not even glancing my way again. He turned his back to me as I tried to speak to him again. 

Magda nodded her head and signaled for me to follow her through the huge house. We made our way back to the main entrance and began walking up the spiral staircase and stopped on the second floor where we proceeded to walk down a long corridor. When we reached the end of the long hallway Magda unlocked a bedroom on the left side and motioned for me to enter the room after her.

She walked into the dark room turning on the bedside lamp and placed my suitcase on top of the over-sized bed. She didn't say a single word the entire time and walked back out of the room closing the door behind her leaving me alone.

I turned on all the lights inside the room and realized that this bedroom was larger than my family's apartment. To my left was my own private sitting area furnished with beautiful white couches and given a pop of color with lilac colored pillows. To my right was the bedroom with an over-sized bed with lilac ruffled bedding and matching curtains. This must have been Teo's idea since he'd always known how much I love this color.

I explored the room more and saw that it even had its own outdoor balcony overlooking the pool. I headed back into the room and walked over to the bed where my suitcase was. As I lifted it up to place on the floor it felt extremely light. Once it was on the floor I proceeded to open it and saw that my parents didn't pack me any clothing. Instead the packed me family photos and some of my old jewelry along with a letter addressed to me.

Rocio,

By the time you are reading this, its because your godfather or Mateo have told you that you are never coming back home to us. Please note that this wasn't done against our will. We agreed that it was for your best to live with them from now on for your own safety. They can provide you the life we know you deserve and with him you won't ever have to worry about needing anything else for the rest of your life. In addition, it's where you will be the most safe under his protection. We never meant to hide the truth from you about who they really were. Always remember that they love you very much.

Your godfather has promised to take care of us as well and we have been moved to a safer location. Don't worry about us Rosie, live life to the fullest and take care of your godfather and Mateo sweetie, you're all they have now.

Love,

Mamá y Papá.

I couldn't help but cry. I'm not some property they could give away like I don't have my own voice. I was more hurt that godfather and Mateo did this to me. I love and trusted them with everything, yet they lured me here on false pretenses.