Chapter 20

Let me know in the comments and votes if you want another chapter posted in a few days! 

The next morning came with awkward silence, but it was welcomed with open arms. I'd be lying if I said that I didn't love waking up and not having to worry about my dad. I didn't have to worry about saying or doing the wrong thing that would possibly send him into a rage. It was nice for a change. I gathered my stuff and showered in the other bathroom, letting Jules use ours. 

"You didn't tell me what happened last night at the restaurant when you came home," Jules said, walking into the kitchen and setting her bag in a chair. 

"I didn't?" I poured each of us a glass of juice. 

"No." She raised an eyebrow because she knew I was trying to avoid the conversation. 

"Nothing much, really; we ate and worked on Math until Austin's brother Kaden interrupted us." I walked out of the kitchen. 

"Kaden Hayes! He's hot as hell! Like hotter than Austin." She followed me down the hall. 

I stopped right before the stairs. "How do you know who Kaden is?"

"You're kidding, right? Almost every girl here knows who Kaden Hayes is or has heard of him. You seriously didn't know he existed, did you? Wow..." She turned and walked down the hall toward the kitchen. 

I walked up the stairs to my room to finish my makeup and hair so we weren't late for school. I sat there looking in the mirror, thinking about what Jules had just told me about Kaden and what Kaden had said to me yesterday at the restaurant. There was no way in hell he thought I was gorgeous. All I knew for sure was this whole situation had disaster written all over it. 

"Rylee, do you want anything for breakfast before we leave for school?" Jules asked through my closed door. 

"No. I'm okay." I opened the door to Jules's wide eyes, motioning to the stairs. 

"Why in the hell is the kitchen a mess?" Dad screamed through the house. 

My eyes widened; I grabbed Jules's arm, yanking her into my room and easing the door shut. "What the hell is he doing home?" I whispered, walking back over to my vanity. She shrugged her shoulders, sitting on the end of my bed. "Is the kitchen a mess?" I asked. 

"No." 

"Don't think you can hide from me in there!" He banged on my door. 

I motioned Jules to answer it. She shook her head no because she knew what would happen if she did open the door. I took a deep breath, got up, walked over, and opened the door. "When did you get home?" I kept a firm grip on the door. 

"I don't have to answer to you! This is my damn house!" His hand slammed into my chest. "Get your ass downstairs and clean up the kitchen. Now!" He grabbed my arm and yanked me out into the hall. "Move!" His hand slammed into my back. I grabbed the railing, stood up, and ran down the stairs before he could push me down them. 

I walked into the kitchen and glanced around for the mess but couldn't find what he could be talking about, so I grabbed the sponge off the counter and started wiping down everything anyway. 

"I have to head back to the job site. Maybe next time I stop by, I won't find another mess." 

I didn't turn around to look at him; I kept wiping down everything. I paused when I heard his heavy footsteps approaching the front door and exhaled when I heard the door open and close. I stayed in the kitchen for a few minutes, gripping the wet sponge,  soapy water running down my hand and arm.