Chapter 60

If you like this chapter, please consider showing it some love by giving it a vote. Thanks! A.L. 

The weekend finally arrived, and the week was finally behind me. I could concentrate on relaxing and having fun with my friends away from school. I asked Brent and Jennifer about returning to work at Coffee Oasis part-time after school and on the weekends. They were a little apprehensive at first but eventually gave in to a few nights during the week and Saturdays only during the weekends. They felt Sundays were for family. I had to admit hearing a sentence like that was strange. I forgot what it was like to be part of a family. For the past three years, Jules and I cared for one another most of the time because Dad was rarely home or sober.

Austin took me to Coffee Oasis early Saturday so I could see Madison and tell Ashlynn that Brent and Jennifer said I could come back to work on certain days. Ashlynn asked if I could work a few hours today because she could really use the help, and honestly, I could use the money, too. I felt bad for relying on Brent and Jennifer for things. They had been so generous by buying us phones, laptops, and clothes so we wouldn't have to return to the house. I sent Jennifer a quick text, asking her if I could work a couple of hours to help out. She replied within a few minutes, telling me to go ahead. 

"Ashlynn, what do you need me to do?" I smiled, walking around the counter. 

"Oh, Rylee! Thank you for working. I promise I won't keep you here long." She hugged me. "Could you help out in the back real quick? We're running out of glasses, mugs, and plates." 

"Sure." I was somewhat relieved to be working in the back, away from everyone. A lot of kids from school were in here this morning, and their eyes kept falling on me every few minutes. Once Ashlynn told me what she wanted me to do for the next few hours, I told Austin I'd text him when my short shift ended. He kissed me, then walked toward the door, reaching into his pocket for his phone. I assumed he was calling Logan to see what he was doing since he was free for a few hours. I stood there and watched him walk past the big picture window, talking on his phone. I stared out the window for a few minutes, wondering what I'd done to deserve a boyfriend like Austin. True, he tortured me throughout middle school, calling me duckface like everyone else, but something in him changed over the last three years. He matured a little faster than most of his friends; he saw me differently when I returned this year, while everyone still saw me as poor, nerdy Rylee. 

"Rylee, you okay?" Madison asked, tapping my shoulder, trying to get my attention. She tucked a piece of hair that had fallen from her bun behind her ear. 

"Uh...yeah. Sorry, I zoned out there for a minute." I blinked my eyes, turning to walk to the back. 

"No worries. I just wanted to make sure you were all right. I'm glad you're back." She smiled. 

"Thanks, Madison." I walked into the kitchen, my eyes locked in on the pile of dishes in the sink. I sighed, dropping my shoulders. I stood up straight, marched over to the sink, and started moving the dishes over to the dirty area, cleaned the sink, and filled it with clean water. Halfway through the dishes, I grabbed a towel, dried my hands, turned, and leaned up against the dry part of the counter. It felt great to be here, working again; I looked around the kitchen as the corners of my mouth curled into a slight smile. No one was around, making me feel like a china doll about to shatter if I tried to do something for myself. 

"Hey, babe." Austin peeked his head in the back. "I just wanted to let you know I was here." 

"Hey." I turned around, reaching for the towel again. I followed Austin's gaze to the bottom of my shirt and the big wet spot covering my entire front. I started wiping it with the towel like it would magically make it go away. I could hear Austin laughing from the doorway, so I stopped what I was doing and crossed my arms.