CHAPTER TEN

— marked —

September 12th, 2017

MARKED. GISELLE AND Selene were 'marked' by the tree. Or, at least that's what Selene's late husband, Joseph Graham Dare, had theorized.

Giselle had found his journal tucked away in a dusty drawer in Hester's sitting room after weeks of searching for it. It was the same journal Selene had told her to find when she first learned about the tree.

Selene was right when she said that he had studied the tree 'front, back, and sideways.' The man had taken measurements, drawn diagrams, detailed what species of birds and snails and insects he had seen on it, and had even named it Arbor, which was Latin for 'tree.'

Joseph had also written about all of his theories, detailing that he believed Selene had been marked by the tree when she touched it during a 'flare-up'—which was what he called it when the tear between the past and the present realities festered.

He said that the tree was a vessel for the tear between realties. He had compared the tear to pressure building up, and needing to be released by the transport of someone through time, which was why it called Selene back and forth when it swelled.

Though, Giselle didn't understand why it would completely drop Selene and choose Giselle to take her place all of a sudden.

Even though the journal was filled to the brim with different theories and ideas, Giselle felt like she was more confused than ever about the tree.

The bell jingled at the front of the flower shop, causing Giselle to look up from the journal and throw on a smile. Her smile only grew when she saw that it was Ajay.

Ajay had been one of the only bright spots in her nearly two month-long stay at Hester's, especially after her mother and father had to go back to Mississippi for work. He had become somewhat of a best friend to her. She hadn't told him much about her predicament for obvious reasons, but she knew he could tell that she wasn't fond of staying in Gentilly.

He tried to distract her with fun outings and phone calls and checked up on her regularly.

Giselle could recognize their relationship as the beginnings of something that could become more. Much more.

Ajay was a handsome man, one with the ability to tell funny jokes and share similar beliefs and values with Giselle. She could see a future with him. But she couldn't get in a relationship with him. Not with the tree yanking her back and forth.

So, she avoided crossing the line with him, and pulled back when she suspected they were close to smudging it, blurring it. Blurry lines were never good.

"Hey," she greeted, shutting the journal, "what are you doing here?"

He swung his car keys around his index finger. "Giving you a lift home," he answered happily.

"Really? I was just going to take the bus like I normally do."

"Well now I'm taking you home. I have to pick Nana up from there anyways."

Giselle nodded in knowing. Anandi also happened to be friends with Hester, and came over fairly often.

Giselle looked at the clock on the wall across from her, straightening when she realized she had only two minutes left of work.