{Chapter 40}

Marwin Sunster's POV:

The castle was as stunning as ever. It had been a few years since the last time I was here. My father scarcely brought me this place. I got off my horse as the guards approached me and my squire, Kilen was at my heels.

"We were informed of your arrival, Lord Marwin," one of the guards spoke.

Of course, they were. I did not doubt that the castle had been well-guarded upon my appearance. I nodded as the man took away both of our steeds.

"I am scared, Master," Kilen whispered as he leaned forward. "What if they decide to kill us?"

"No one would harm us," I guaranteed him. 

We were escorted to the inner castle. I did not remember much of this part of the castle as I was very young when I was here. But the place was serene and beautiful.

I have heard things about how my father died here. How he bled to his death within the castle dungeons, murdered by a supposedly unknown assailant. Now that I was here at the place he perished, I had various feelings.

The deep blue rose of the royal family fluttered everywhere on black flags. The sky was still grey and it set a gloomy look on the castle. I hoped that everything would go well as intended.
.................................................................

At last, we reached the hallways of the castle. Kilen was walking close to me, fascinated by everything he saw. He never visited the castle and admired every wonderful thing his eyes fell on.

While we were on the way, we met a tall man who had an intense look on his face.

"Lord Marwin," he curtsied. "I hope everything was well in your travel,"

"It did," I replied cautiously. "And who might you be?"

"I am Nathaniel. Personal Advisor and guard to the King,"

"It is pleasant to meet you," I replied politely. "And this is my squire, Kilen." 

Nathaniel nodded and Kilen greeted back. Kilen was a normal lad with a normal lifestyle before I picked him to be my companion.

"I would implore you to follow me, Lord Marwin," Nathaniel said. He gestured for us to walk.

We did so. The castle was bathing in silence. The outside was beautiful. The inside was decorated and luxurious. And yet, it looked so dead and dark.

Soon, we made a turn around a hallway and saw a girl, with bright auburn hair, standing near a door nervously. Judging by her attire, she was a maid. When she saw us, she panicked. Nathaniel paused before turning towards us.

"Apologies, Lord Marwin." He excused himself and walked toward the girl.

Kilen patted me on the shoulder and whispered. "That girl is adorable, Master,"

"Be quiet," I whispered back. Now was not the time to marvel at women.

Suddenly, the doors burst open. A woman with dark hair walked out. Her eyes landed on everyone present there.

"Your Grace!" The maid shrieked. "We must leave now,"

"I know." The woman replied. But she glanced at me curiously. She looked at Nathaniel.

"This is Lord Marwin Sunster and his companion, Your Grace," he briefed, looking at me.

The woman's tender eyes froze in shock as she stared at me. There was a feeling etched in her eyes that I could not understand. Anger? Hatred?