20.2

❖ ❖ ❖

'Which one of you is Isla?'

A tall man stood before her cabin, his skin dark and wizened. Isla tightened the robe around her chest. Her fingers brushed the hilt of the bloodrune dagger hidden close to her left breast. He knew her name. 'If you mean Lilja, that would be me.'

He bowed. 'Of course. The ... maharaj has instructed me to bring you to the treasury.'

Isla smirked. 'So he has boarded at last.'

'Will you follow me, if you ... please?'

Isla cast a warning glare at Tam Mai, still frozen upon the seats by the window.

"I won't move". Even in her head, the exasperation was clear.

Isla stepped into the corridor, closing the door behind her, and followed the man down the hall. 'And who might you be? His silver-servant?'

'My apologies. I have been dis ... discourteous in my haste. You may call me Sindhu. I am but a loyal servant.'

'So, his silver-servant.' He even told him my true name. Despite her smile, she was fuming with rage—that was not Kiet's secret to share. 'I see you aren't wearing a pendant. Smart choice. I always wondered why you would mark yourselves so obviously like that. I thought the whole point was to be secretive.'

Sindhu frowned, confused. 'I do not know what you think silver-servants do, but ... most of their work require no need for secrecy.'

Their footsteps clomped over the panelled floor. The ship was not as lavish as the bhatara, whose halls had been covered entirely in carpets, but it was impressive in its own right. Ceiling candelabrum lit the corridors, revealing the lotus mandala subtly engraved between every few paces in the wall. She only hoped Tam Mai would not notice them.

The corridor flowed into a wider hall, one side decked entirely in floor-length windows. Momuji West sprawled in the distance beyond; a city of lights under a darkening sky, separated by some three hundred yards of water.

'This way ... miss.'

Isla pried herself away from the view just as their ship started pulling away from harbour. Isla studied the man who walked with a slight hunch. She had thought him nervous before, but it was clear now he spoke with a mild stutter. Sindhu shirked under her scrutiny, and Isla wondered if indeed this man was a silver-servant. Putting an old, anxious man into dangerous work ... surely Kiet could not be so cruel.

'How long have you worked for the maharaj?'

'I have worked for him before he was even born, miss.'

'So you worked for his mother.'

'I ... I did.'

The ship creaked and swayed, Isla's stomach with it.

Of course not all of Rajini Amarin's servants were killed that night. Of course not all of them would have known of their mistress's self-imposed mission. But until she knew where Sindhu stood in the late rajini's confidence, she needed to keep both eyes on him.

'Down this way, miss.'

The hall ended in a large door. Largest by far from what she had seen aboard the ship; double-arched and sturdy, with giant knockers on both panes. Sindhu took one and pounded, waiting a moment before pushing it open.

'Thank you, Master Mandabu. You may wait outside.' Kiet stood, angled to face both the entrance and a palanquin that had been set across the chamber. Only one other man accompanied him; leather armour still secured over his tunic, wooden scabbard hanging high upon his waist. Kiet caught her gaze and turned to the man. 'Akai. Why not join him and ensure we remain uninterrupted.'