Chapter 1:

I wake up in the midst of not knowing. Dazed and confused, I brush a lock of hair from my face and sit up in bed. The darkness of night pours through my window. I glance at my alarm clock to see that it is only 4 am. Perfect, another early morning. When was the last time I actually got the right amount of sleep? I yawn casually and get up out of bed, knowing I won't be able to get back to sleep. Picking up one foot slowly after the other, I tumble into the bathroom, turn on the shower and climb in. Although it's only 4 am, I rush through my shower and quickly get out, so that I can start packing. Today I start my first day of college. Luckily, I won't be alone. My best friend Brianna is 'coincidentally' going to the same college as me. We've been friends since grade-school, and although we are best friends, we couldn't be more different. She's considered the popular type; she has long blonde hair, she's kind, and absolutely, physically flawless. I have brown hair, am extremely shy and clutzy, and I have more flaws than I can count.
The phone rings, interrupting my thoughts, and I pick it up.

"Hello?"

"Hey Kaitlyn! Its Brianna!"

"Oh hey! How are you?"

"I'm great! Do you need help packing?"

"No, I think i'll be fine."

"Oh come on! I have someone I want you to meet anyway!"

Of course she does. She's been trying to set me up with someone forever, but I don't think she realizes that I'm fine on my own...

"Okay, you can come over," I say with a little less enthusiasm in my voice than I probably intended.

"Don't get too excited!" She says sarcastically.

"Haha! Don't worry, I am overflowing with anticipation," I say.

"Okay," she laughs, "I'll see you soon!" She says with a perky tone in her voice, and she hangs up.