Prologue

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

PROLOGUE
Sᴀʙʀɪɴᴀ Oғ Oʟᴅ Sᴛᴏɴᴇs

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

Somewhere over the rainbow

Skies are blue

And the dreams that you dare to dream

Really do come true

The soft, melodious hum of a young girl sounded through the busy police station, echoing beneath the cacophony of frantic working chatter and ringing phones as she sat in a chair, feet barely touching the ground, and swung her legs back and forth as if walking through the air. Her brilliant blue-green eyes, bright and curious as ever, roamed the ordinary, unremarkable spaces of the station with wonder and awe, as if she was able to see a whole other world in the empty spaces, a world beyond the hustle and bustle of the station's early morning work hours.

"Miss, can you please confirm your name?" the officer kneeling before the girl repeated, "Miss?" He asked, finally gaining her attention.

The girl blinked, lightly shaking her head and refocusing her ever-wandering mind.

"Oh," she said still slightly dazed, "I'm sorry. What was the question again?" She asked politely.

The officer sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose, his face riddled with prominent worry lines and deep purple eye bags from the exhaustion.

"Your name," he reminded.

"Oh!" The girl perked up, "My name is Sabrina. Sabrina Swan."

The officer nodded and scribbled the name down onto his notepad.

"Age?"

The girl's eyes strayed to the left, as though trying to recall the answer to the simple question.

"I'm..." she hesitated, looking off into the empty space beside the officer as if the answer lay in some unseen void, "Thirteen. I'm thirteen years old. I'll be fourteen in a few months."

And again, he scribbled down the information to be used to generate a profile for the strange young girl.

"Miss Swan, you were in a car crash, correct?" He asked to clarify.

Sabrina thought for a moment before nodding vigorously.

"And you said that you and your brother were..." the officer glanced down at his notepad, "running away?"

The girl's eyes flitted down to her torn and tattered hospital gown, the thin piece of material stained with blood and dirt. Taking note of her sudden despondency, the officer put down the note pad with a sigh.

"Look, kid, I just wanna know what happened before the accident," he told her frankly, "You say that what happened to your brother, Benny, wasn't an accident. Do you think you can tell me why you say that?"

Although still maintaining a degree of despondency, the girl looked off into the distance as if listening intently to something nobody else could hear. Eventually, she nodded slowly.