Chapter Fourteen

When the two got it the driveway, they looked through the menu, and after their time was up when the person in front of them was done ordering, Leroy got a McFlurry, which was essentially ice cream with chunks of chocolate cookies in it, whil...

When the two got it the driveway, they looked through the menu, and after their time was up when the person in front of them was done ordering, Leroy got a McFlurry, which was essentially ice cream with chunks of chocolate cookies in it, while Zachary settled on an iced coffee flavored with just honey. They ordered plain donuts together, and when Leroy drove out of the drive-through, he parked the car in the nearby parking space before they started to eat.

"Hmm..." Zachary trailed, making Leroy pause to look at him. The older man was staring down at the donut he'd taken a bite into with a weird frown on his face. "This is good," he eventually said, nodding his head before taking another bite. "It tastes like fried dough."

"I mean, it's a plain donut, there isn't much else it could be," Leroy commented, chuckling a little before taking a scope of the McFlurry.

"That looks like it could give you a heart attack," Zachary said, watching as Leroy took another spoon full of chocolate-dotted ice cream.

Leroy shrugged. "It might, but I think I'm fine with that."

Zachary chuckled, shaking his head. 

The car fell into an awkward silence as the both of them ate and stared out into the distance. The traffic was a bit much, considering it was rush hour, so Leroy wasn't in a hurry to start heading back. He enjoyed Zachary's company, even if they weren't saying much and were just sitting next to each other.

"Thank you for taking me out today."

Leroy turned his head to look at Zachary who was turning a half-eaten donut between his fingers.

"I haven't been out much, so it was nice to move around," the man continued, licking his lips. "Usually, it's just me on the lawn or looking out the window. Sometimes I have to take an Uber to the doctor, but that's about it for the most part. I can count the number of times I cross the picket fence a year in my hands."

Leroy stayed silent, not really knowing what to say to that. Zachary seemed to be oversharing, but he couldn't just tell him to stop—he also really didn't want to. There was something raw about his voice and expressions when he was honest and spoke freely. It contrasted heavily with the tired demeanor he put up that just made him seem void of life and meek.

"You know, if there are things you want to do, I can take you..." Leroy said, breaking the silence. "Remember I said we could go to the movies together, I meant that, you know."

Zach bit his bottom lip, nibbling it a bit before letting out a sigh. "You say that but trying to get a wheelchair into a cinema isn't as easy as rolling me into a grocery store." Zachary chuckled a bit, looking down at his fingers as he sighed. "I can't even remember the last time I was in a cinema. I think my parents were still together then."

Leroy's ears perked up. "Your parents are divorced?"

Zachary nodded. "Yeah." He rested his back on the car seat, looking out into the distance as he curled his lips. "In part due to me. They couldn't stop arguing about whose fault was what, or how to split up childcare duties—"