Chapter Twenty

Leroy wanted to visit Zachary today, he really did—but there was a problem

    Leroy wanted to visit Zachary today, he really did—but there was a problem. It turns out that daydreaming at work, and not getting much done meant that his Friday when he got to work from home was a lot busier than he anticipated it to be. He couldn't do it on Saturday—obviously not, because he and Zach were going to the movies, and on Sunday, he was brushing up his presentation for Monday's meeting while taking time out of his day to help his sister, Emilia, with her craft fair event where she'd be selling her stick-on nails and handing out business cards.

     It was about two in the afternoon when Leroy got a call. His eyes darted to his phone that was buzzing on the office table and showing the display name that lived in his head rent-free.

     Zach.

     He picked up the phone, swiping in the direction of the answer button before bringing the phone to his ear.

     "Hello?"

     "Hey," Leroy said. "How are you?"

     "I'm doing fine, I'm just a little bored," the older man admitted from the other end. I just wanted to know if you're coming over today?" Zachary asked, and Leroy felt his heart fall a little. He'd mentioned that he might sometime at the beginning of the week, but now, it didn't look like it was going to be possible.

     "Well, honestly, I'm not sure. I don't see myself finishing work at five, that's for sure," Leroy said. "I postponed and now I have a handful of things due first thing Monday morning."

     "Wow, that sucks."

     Yeah, I know," Leroy sighed rubbings his eyes with the back of his free hand. "But it's my fault I should have gotten this done earlier."

     The line was quiet for a while before Zachary spoke up. "Well, how about I come over?"

     Leroy blinked, then said, "Huh?" He wondered if he had Zachary heard right. "How?"

     "Well, I could get an Uber. It's not very far so it shouldn't cost a lot, and I can just hang out while you work. It's not a big deal," Zachary said. "Well, that's if you're okay with someone being around you while you work—"

     "I am," Leroy said before he could finish his sentence. "I—you should come if you want to."

     There was a pause on the other end, and Leroy began to panic that Zachary had maybe changed his mind.

     "Please do, I'm bored out of my mind by myself," Leroy said, and Zachary chuckled a bit.

     "Okay. It shouldn't take more than thirty minutes, I think. I should be able to get a ride soon enough," Zachary said, and Leroy's eyes looked about the office, and then he thought of the mess that was his room.

     "Err, could you make that an hour..." Leroy trailed, looking up at the clock right above the table. "I just have to check in with my mum and sister, and clean my room a bit," he admitted, rubbing the back of his neck.