-Epilogue-

Again, Evelyn was a friend of the devil's.

     After Thomas finally let her go, she insisted on pranking all her friends and some at the same time. Sure she felt bad, but none of them were truly mad at her being too happy to care. But she definitely had it coming for her once she was back to normal.

     Throughout that excruciatingly long month, Minho had kept a small necklace he found in Thomas's pant pocket the night they took down Wicked and he knew it was Newts having spotted it that same night. He figured it was probably something emotional so considering Thomas was a complete wreck when Evelyn was unconscious, he kept it to himself until she woke up.

     But now he had to actually give it to him.

     Minho walked over to Thomas and Evelyns tent and knocked on the side of the tent that had a few pieces of wood acting as walls and the girl muttered the okay for him to come in.

     "Hi." Her smile was contagious, especially after not seeing it for so long, Minho smiled too as Evelyn was folding a few pieces of clothing she was given and tucked them away in a drawer as Thomas was making their shared cot look nice to the best of his abilities.

     "What's up?" Thomas asked straightening out the last few wrinkles in the blankets before walking over to the boy.

     "Did you lose your hair gel?" Evelyn joked chuckling to herself as she shut the drawer and crossed her arms taking her place next to Thomas.

     He shoved her forehead back and she hit his arm away before he pulled the necklace out of his pocket and held it up for Thomas.

     "Here. You had this on you when you passed out." He stated as Thomas recognized it in an instant, smile disappearing as the memory of Newt begging him to take it came flooding into his brain. "Figured I'd keep it safe for ya."

     A moment of just staring at the object passed before he spoke. "Thanks, Minho."

     He nodded in reply sharing a concerned glance with the girl for the boy whose mood shifted in an instant. "I'll see you out there."

     "Yep. Thanks." Evelyn replied as he turned and left, Thomas walking over to the cot and taking a seat as he observed the small container shaped necklace.

     "Thomas, you okay?" She asked crouching down in front of him as she tried to remember seeing the thing but she couldn't think of it. "What is that?"

     He didn't answer for a few more moments as he unscrewed some type of lid and furrowed his brows as he pulled out rolled up pieces of paper.

     Again a look of realization crossed his features mixed with sadness as he covered his mouth with one of his hands.

     "Hey, what is it?" Evelyn placed her hand on his knee, confused as ever as she glanced between the paper and Thomas who'd let his eyes grow glossy.

     "It's from Newt."

     "Oh." She said and her mood seemed to go down a little as well. She missed him a lot. "I'll let you be alone for a bit, but I'll be with Miles if you need me."

     He nodded as she stood up and placed a kiss on his cheek which he returned before she was out the door leaving him alone with a letter.

     Dear Thomas...

     A single tear fell. He could only imagine what would be in this letter and he wished Evelyn hadn't left so he'd have a source of comfort but she did and he decided to man up.

     This is the first letter I can remember writing. Obviously, I don't know if I wrote any before the maze but even if it's not my first, it's likely to be my last. I want you to know that I'm not scared. Well, not of dying anyway. It's more forgetting. It's losing myself to this virus, that's what's scares me. So, every night I've been saying their names out loud. Alby, Winston, Chuck. And I just repeat them over and over, like a prayer and it all comes flooding back. Just the little things, like the way the sun used to hit the glade at the perfect moment right before is slipped beneath the walls. And I remember the taste of Frypan's stew. I never thought I'd miss that stuff so much.

     A moment of pause left him with a teary eyes chuckle at his words, memories coming back to him as well at the explanation of their life not too long ago.

     And I remember you. I remember the first time you came up in the box, just a scared little Greenie who couldn't even remember his own name. But from that moment you ran into the maze, I knew I would follow you anywhere. And I have. We all have. If I could do it all over again, I would and I wouldn't change a thing. And my hope for you is that when you're looking back years from now, you'll be able to say the same. The future's in your hands now, Tommy. And I know you'll find a way to do what's right. You always have. Take care of everyone for me. And take care of yourself. You deserve to be happy. Thank you for being my friend.

     Goodbye, mate.

—Newt

•|•|•

'In your own time, in your
own way. . .come make your peace.'

______________________

11/18/22

I cannot stop crying right now, I hate myself for writing the stupid letter and now I'm not gonna be able to sleep as his voice is literally haunting
me right now...

Again, thanks so, so much for reading I hope you enjoyed and I really appreciate anyone who stuck it out for three books cause god knows it can be difficult to read my writing sometimes

I love you all!

I'm going to get some sleep now so, goodnight and good riddance!

•|•|•[    ]•|•|•