Emerson

Three Hunters had been chosen already. I could only pray. Pray that of these thousands of men, one of the two positions left would be given to me. I held on to the passion that drove me. I remembered the cries of my mother, the fight in my father's eyes before he was murdered,  the fear in my sisters. I would never fail to protect anyone as I had that night. I had failed and now they were gone. But never, never again. I didn't breathe as the Selector said her next bit.
   "Love and loyalty make a Hunter who he is. His goal must be to protect. And to protect is his one desire. Emerson is Presented!" Time stood still. It took me a second to process the meaning of this. That I had been chosen. I would be a Hunter. I would be a protector. My family would be avenged.
   I strode up to the throne and dropped to my knee. How did I, of all, deserve this? How was I here?
   I had seen the King before when the people had been required to come to the Capital, Leyvine. But in the few times I had come, I had never seen the King's family, the royal family. Directly next to the King was his son, who looked near twelve years old. He looked very similar to the King himself, with dark hair and green eyes. Beside the Prince was one of the Princesses.  She looked to be near my age, with a mix of light brown and dark blonde hair. Her eyes were an ocean blue and held a distant, faraway look. Almost cold. Unnoticing. There was something about her, like she had locked herself away. Something I could relate to. But there was something strange and unfamiliar that seemed to build a wall between her and everyone else. But my attention was drawn away as the King began asking for my vows.
    "Do you, Emerson, vow pure loyalty, honesty, and faithfulness to your King?" The King demanded.
   "I do, your Highness." I responded, determination filling me.
   "Do you pledge to do the bidding of your sovereign? To never falter? To obey, always. And to protect mine life as if it was your own?"
    "I do, your Highness"
    "Do you accept the apprenticeship that will form you into one of my deadliest servants?"
     "It is my honor, your Highness."
  "Then rise, my Hunter, and accept your station beside me." And I did.