Chapter 10 - Old Married Couple

He rushes me out with his hand on my arm and slows down a bit only when we reach the sidewalk. He jerks to a stop beside the car where he turns me around to face him. "Okay, time for a little talk."

"We could've talked back there. I could be having my second drink right now," I grumble while trying to ignore how his proximity and the warmth that radiates off his body are affecting me. I also find his pale blue-grey eyes on me disconcerting. It drives my heart to go overdrive.

"We couldn't, those women were too nosy, trying to listen in on our conversation," he says and I think he meant the two blondes he was cozying up to earlier.

"You seemed to be enjoying their company just fine before," I can't help but mutter.

That draws a lopsided grin from him, showing off a row of perfect, straight, white teeth. "Did that bother you, dollface?" he drawls with a raise of an eyebrow. "You sounded like you were jealous."

"Jealous? Why would I be jealous?" I fire back even though a little voice inside my head is saying that it might be true. I was seeing red when I saw those women all over him, one was practically on his lap! I mean, what was that about? I tilt my chin up as I continue, "You're free to go back to them. They can have you. I'd rather make out with a snake than be in your company, anyway."

"Is that so?" He looks amused. His pale eyes however are narrowing, full of challenge.

"Yes!" I reply haughtily, crossing my arms across my chest. It's hard to give attitude when I have to crane my neck to look up at him.

"You sure about that?" His voice is quiet and his gaze is suddenly predatory.

When he moves forward, crowding me like a wolf cornering its prey, my breath catches in my throat. My heart skips a few beats then starts racing wildly and my stomach clenches. I let my arms fall to my sides and step back warily.

It suddenly occurs to me that maybe it's not wise to throw a gauntlet like that at the feet of someone like Joshua King.

He takes another step forward and I take a couple of steps back until my back is pressed against the side of the car. A while later, he's smiling wolfishly down at me. He's towering over me with his hands pressed against the roof of the car on either side of me, caging me in.

I swallow hard. My blood surge through my veins and my whole body warms up. I'm not quite sure if I'm feeling intimidated or excited. Probably both.

"I'm more than sure," I snip back, lifting my chin up higher to show him that I am unaffected. "First off, I don't know you, Joshua King! And secondly, I find you cocky and annoying as hell."

"I'm annoying as hell, huh?" His voice is low and smooth and so very sexy. "I should warn you that that sassy mouth of yours is turning me on, dollface," he continues as his eyes flicker down to intently watch my lips.

I'm feeling hotter by the second and I'm sure my face has turned red. No one has ever made me feel this way. Oh, God, I'm going to combust!

"Need I remind you that you and I have some unfinished business?" he says. "You still owe me one night, dollface. We're going to finish what we started....soon."

"No, we're not doing that!" I manage to squeak and somehow my voice comes out louder than I intended. "You started something with that woman, not me! We won't be finishing anything even if you were the last man on planet earth!"

"Oh, for hell's sake!" barks Otto who has finally caught up to us. "Are you two always gonna be bickering like an old married couple?"

I'm about to say something sassy but close my mouth when I see his face. Goodness, the man is scary! Now I remember why I made the vow not to sass him.