A Brother's Quarrel

Fear dug its long talons deeper into my hardened skin as Tarkan stared back at me with a wicked smirk.

Had I moved too fast through the crowd? No, I'd barely been able to run, and the mask was still in place, so how could Tarkan possibly recognize me?

"I'm sorry, Prince Calix, but you must have me confused with someone else." I made my voice deeper than it was so that I wouldn't give him any reason to think it was me. "I am merely a—"

"Cut it out, Wildcard," Tarkan sneered behind his silver mask. "I can recognize the sound of your heartbeat between thousands of people. Your veil does you no good against me."

I swallowed harshly. This was not how I'd imagined this evening would go.

"However, since you're here, I feel safe assuming that my traitor brother is running around with another face as well."

I snorted. "So, you can recognize the heartbeat of a woman you met mere months ago, but your own brother's heartbeat is tricky," I said, testing his grip on my body again.

"Don't flatter yourself, Wildcard," Tarkan said, snapping a laugh right back at me. "I could easily find him if the gathering had been smaller, but your heart has a very distinct sound. Some may call it a defect, but yours is so minor that it'll likely cause you no trouble as long as you keep your body healthy. Unfortunately, I don't think it's wrong to assume that it may be a consequence of your previous life and your malnourished body."

I held my breath, focusing on the rhythm of my heart. I couldn't hear anything strange about it.

"What do you know of heart diseases anyway? It's not like you're a healer like your—"

"Let's dance, shall we?" Tarkan suddenly said, pulling me with him onto the dance floor as the first melodies of the next song began playing.

It was as if we were back at the Rising Sun Festival, except, this time, I wasn't dancing with a handsome prince. Instead, I was dancing with a wicked monster.

"The two of you did quite a lot of damage when you left the castle," Tarkan said, guiding me through the steps of a dance I didn't know. "Father is in utter ruin after Atlas' betrayal. And since Atlas isn't here to take over when Father can't, I have been given the task. So I guess it won't be long before I'm crowned king."

"Keep dreaming, Tarkan," I snapped, slightly amazed that I hadn't yet fallen over my feet. "We will have Caiden back on the throne in no time once we finish our mission."

"And what makes you think Heliac would want a traitor sitting on the throne?"

"Even a traitor is better than you," I said, sneering as I spat the words into his smirking face. "Besides, Caiden isn't—"

I stopped myself before my anger and hatred toward the bastard went too far. Tarkan didn't know about Raina, and he certainly didn't know about the details of our mission. That would put all of us in danger.

"What's wrong, Wildcard?" Tarkan said, his smirk widening. "Is there something you want to tell me? Maybe a few more details of where this mission of yours will take you?"

I clenched my jaw, ripping my eyes away from his. Maybe it would be better if I just kept my mouth shut.

"I'm actually surprised that you managed to pull Eos into this chaos. I mean, Atlas and your friends are probably willing to sacrifice the World for you, and Uncle Arthur treats you as if you're his own, but Eos... She's always been kind of distant and hostile, don't you think? Or is convincing people to join your silly missions a new power that your golden blood has granted you?"