⌠5⌡ Flesh Eater

Nearly another week passed until I felt it was safe to go beyond the wall again

Nearly another week passed until I felt it was safe to go beyond the wall again. I'd returned early enough the previous time, and Adam hadn't noticed my absence. God, though, had known I'd spent some time away, supposedly by the stream.

Since I couldn't know for how long I'd manage to keep up with that subterfuge, I had decided to do my best to make it last. Strangely enough, I'd been giddy and excited even on those five days where I'd focused on my duties. Simply knowing that I would go to the cave soon was enough to keep my mind alive and interested.

Once more, I had subtly encouraged Adam to mate with me earlier than usual, just so I could be free to leave. It turned out that my husband wasn't hard to manipulate. In fact, he very easily fell for my tricks. All I had to do was turn around, arch my back a little, and with one look at me, the wish to unite would come to him.

Now, I'd cleaned myself and was on my way to the fissure in the wall. God didn't bother me this time, especially since I often wandered to the stream, just not for very long. I'd been an exemplary daughter since my last visit outside, so really, he had nothing to worry about. Or at least, that was what I wanted him to believe.

When I came across a magnificent tree, whose branches were heavy with apricots, I remembered the nameless man's words. He'd been starving out there for quite a while. My heart twitched with guilt at the thought. I knew the concept of hunger, even though I'd never experienced it. It never went further than a moderate desire for sustenance, so I wasn't sure how it was like to be truly famished. Just in case it was unbearable, I should have gone back to him sooner, with enough fruits and nuts to fill his stomach and last him a few days.

Adamant to make up for my poor lack of consideration, I busied myself with picking a few apricots. Only the very best one I could find, because he deserved at least that. A little further along the stream, I found a bush full of blueberries. I filled my hand with as much of those as I could fit and continued my walk.

By the time I reached the wall, I had an arm pressed across my chest that was overflowing with a wide variety of fruits, berries, and nuts. Making my way through the narrow crack was particularly hard, but because it was my fifth time now, I didn't struggle too much. I did lose an orange, a khaki, and a few cherries, though. Most of my harvest, thankfully, remained.

My smile stretched from one ear to the other as I made my way up the stream toward the mountain, each step bouncing with excitement. Not only would I see the nameless stranger again, I also came bearing gifts. Enough to satisfy his appetite, that was for sure. Even Adam wouldn't be able to eat all that in a day, and he ate a lot more than I did.

I stopped in front of the cave, impatient to see my strange companion again. "Hello?" I called out into the darkness.

Like the previous time, I waited anxiously for his response, hoping he was there. Many things could have happened in six days, and maybe he'd left, for some reason.