⌠6⌡ Cheer You Up

When we reached our destination, I gaped at it with wonderment

When we reached our destination, I gaped at it with wonderment. Our short walk through the dark passage had led us to a magnificent chamber within the cave, wide and tall. While the outside was scorched, plants seemed to be thriving in there, moss, ferns, vines... They covered and fell from the irregular walls, bringing life into what could have been another desolate sight.

Toward the other side, there was a large gap high up, which allowed some light from the sun to enter, but not directly. The hole opened to the mountain, and it explained the breeze that blew out of this place. But it wasn't the only source of light there was.

"Is that fire?" I asked, admiring the flames that danced in the large pit situated in the middle of the space. It was always such a strange thing to glimpse at something for the first time, and yet have its name manifest in my mind.

"It is, yes."

"How did you find it?"

"The first time, a thunder hit a tree, and it burst into flames. I collected a branch before it was too late, and then maintained it for years. It died out because of my foolishness, but I've since learned to reignite it."

"It's beautiful," I whispered, hypnotized by the fluid motions of it.

"Come closer to it. It'll warm you."

I followed him as he pulled me into the space, and once we were in front of the pit, he squeezed my hand one last time and released it. I kept my eyes on the flames as he went to fetch something. The fire felt good, warming me even more efficiently than the sun. In mere seconds, I wasn't cold anymore, my skin tingling with a pleasant sensation of heat. This whole chamber was actually not as cold as I'd expected. With the stream and this giant fire, it was comfortably warm, even.

My host's presence next to me again distracted me from the spectacle. "You can drop your fruits in there," he offered, holding a piece of wood he'd carved into a hollow half globe.

Well, that was clever. I had to do something similar for the garden. I turned to him with a pleased smile. Per usual, he spoiled me with new things, new discoveries. But it seemed he wasn't done yet.

"This," he said, extending me a small object, "is for you."

Curious, I took it from him and observed the strange shape of it. It was long and flat, dented with thin and regular spikes that were aligned. On the broadest parts of it, a slithering snake was engraved, which I was certain he'd done to tease me again.

"Did you make this?"

"Yes. I thought you'd make good use of it."

I nodded, appreciating the gesture. No one had ever made a thing for me before. Aside from Father—but I suspected he'd made Eden for Adam more than for me. I, however, wasn't too certain how I should use this.

"What is it?" I asked, failing to understand its purpose.

"It's for your hair, sweetness. To detangle it."