39. Tormented Heart On Fire

Follow me if you're already invested in this story because I'll keep writing similar stories in the future, and you might miss out. 

Qingcang took one last sorrowful look at Meilin dying before him, his heart heavy with the weight of his choices

Qingcang took one last sorrowful look at Meilin dying before him, his heart heavy with the weight of his choices. The portal before him emitted a mysterious hum, growing louder with each passing second but at times silent, allowing the Moon Supreme to hear Meilin's faint breathing. The air crackled with electricity, charged with otherworldly energy, swirling around him in a powerful vortex as he took hesitant steps forward. Standing on the brink of returning home, he should have been pleased with the long-awaited freedom within his grasp. However, a sudden wave of doubt washed over him, freezing him in his tracks, contemplating his next move as the portal began to show signs of dissipation, threatening to fade away into nothingness.

 However, a sudden wave of doubt washed over him, freezing him in his tracks, contemplating his next move as the portal began to show signs of dissipation, threatening to fade away into nothingness

In Qingcang's rough past, when confronted with betrayal, he had been ruthless, sparing no mercy for the offender, regardless of their identity. Yet, in deviation from his previous self, he had chosen to spare Meilin. She remained unharmed by him, not even disturbing a single strand of her hair, although the opportunity to end her life had presented itself.

Now, Qingcang stood at a crossroads, torn between saving his world and his tribe or saving Meilin, the woman who had unknowingly crawled under his skin and captured his heart. As the last hope for the survival of the Moon Tribe against the relentless forces of the Fairy Realm, he keenly felt the weight of his responsibility. His dedication to leading his people had intensified during his time in her world, and if he did not act swiftly, his people would perish.

'What am I doing? There is no time. I have a lot on my plate with my tribe,' Qingcang pondered, regaining his composure, his face contorted with determination. 'Why should I care if she still likes Yichen? I'm free from her now, so it no longer matters. I won't feel her or die alongside her anymore,' he continued his internal dialogue, desperately clinging to denial as his heart was ripped apart by the decision he had made. Was it indeed the right choice? 'I've already made my decision. I must not look back,' he resolved, forcing himself to regain his composure.