28. Drumroll

Originally posted Jan 23, 2023.

Once Karan was well rested and fed, he took Amil with him to the village. Nana sent them off with a smile, but she was uneasy inside. She reminded herself that Karan would not ditch Amil if there was danger. She did not believe Karan would feel especially sad if something happened to Amil, but he knew that Nana would freak out at best and have a major breakdown at worst. Karan wouldn't let that happen if he could prevent it. She was 99% sure. But she was missing that 1% and that's why her concerns were even there. Well... there were also the general dangers...

Nana shook her head. She was not going to sit here and worry about it. Nope. She was going to find something else to do while they were gone and keep busy until they were back.

Due to the temporary loss of her best hunters, those left had to rotate roles to compensate. Since she was down two males, Zen and Troy had less time to train her. She still worked on staying fit and constantly played active games with her cubs. When she went to the meadow, she got to add other cubs into the activities.

Kaito came around several times which Nana was grateful for. They would talk and he'd sometimes keep her company while her males were hunting. He, unfortunately, reminded her of her coming heat. Karan should be back before then, hopefully. It wasn't like her heat would always happen at the same time. Thankfully she hadn't gotten it yet, but it could come any day. Nana hoped it was delayed, but if it wasn't, she would deal with it.

Nana becoming more curious about the heroine. She should be showing up anytime now. There was no telling if Nana had enough of an effect on the plot to change the first parts of the story.

Her entrance was essentially her running into a random fodder male, but she freaks out and runs from him because he was a giant tiger.

So Nana had several gripes about that. First and foremost, it was incredibly stupid to turn your back and run from a predator, but the author never gave the heroine that brain cell that would have helped her. Okay, maybe that was harsh, but still...

Second problem: When Elizabeth realized he was a naked man, she ran harder. Nana wasn't too harsh on this point. Nana would probably try her luck with a tiger over a naked man that was drooling over her... Definitely.

Still, Elizabeth didn't really listen and ran head first into a much more dressed Akito—cue butterflies and flowers at the fateful encounter. So, would Elizabeth still go through that scene? Nana wasn't really sure and wouldn't know. And since she was out of the social loop, the heroine could arrive and she wouldn't know it.

Nana figured she would hear something at some point though. Zen still went to town to purchase things on occasion. She'd ask him to keep his ears perked for any gossip of that nature while he was out.

It took two weeks for Karan to come back. He gave her good news. Well, it was good news in a way. Karan had graciously gone on a cleansing and wiped out any threats around the village. He humbly reported the body count with some well-concealed pride. Nana's forehead twitched and her mind grasped at straws for a response.

If she told him 'good job,' would she be supporting homicide? But she didn't want to devalue his efforts when they were for her sake. In the end, she totally evaded the topic and redirected it.

"I'm glad you are back safe," she said honestly without commenting on his earlier words.

Karan glowed and grabbed her hand. He placed it on his face with a soft expression. "I am glad to be back."

Nana's heart danced around. It would've kept beating like that had Dakotah, the burly cinnamon roll, not interrupted them with a whisper, "Should I go on a journey too?" He was speaking to himself, but he was heard by all present.