chapter 6

Nysa had finally had enough of Nani's suspicious behaviour

It was the third evening in a row where she'd missed dinner. Nysa was practically slaving away in the kitchen, trying to perfect the family saag recipe, just because Nani had mentioned it to Nysa when they we sat at the dining table the other day, writing out the shopping list. Nysa had to admit, her food tasted good. So, you could imagine the frustration of a granddaughter when hearing that her grandmother, who she had so lovingly cooked for, was skipping dinner to visit her friends out on the Rez.

Nysa remembered Nani's old friends, of course she did. Nysa was good at remembering people. When she was small, visiting with her family during the summer holidays, Nani would take them out to the Rez. Nani was close to the elder council of the Quileute tribe, spending a lot of her time there. Nysa did find it suspicious that her Nani never took her to visit after she moved, especially considering she used to play with their children.

There was Billy Black with his children Jacob, Rebecca and Rachel. She knew them the most, Nysa remembered her and her brother spending a lot of time with the three and Isabella Swan. Nikhil always used to have a painfully obvious crush on Rebecca, Nysa was quick to rub into his face that she had gotten married as soon as Nani had told her the news. Another one of her friends was Quil Ateara Senior (she remembered that there were multiple) and Harry Clearwater (his wife, Sue, was always very kind to her).

The elder woman was ready to leave, scuttling around the house looking for her shawl while Nysa simply stared at her, staring at her in disbelief. She let out a breath through her nose, shaking her head as she tossed the kitchen towel onto the counter.

"Nani, stop this," Nysa expressed, hands held out in front of her. "Please, where are you sneaking off to? Meeting your 'friends', why are you being so cryptic all the time. All week you've been acting like this and I'm honestly lost. I've come here for you, Nani," it was only at these words when the woman stopped, looking at her granddaughter thoughtfully. "How am I supposed to help you if you won't tell me anything? If you won't tell me what you're doing?"

"Okay, fine. Come on, then," she said in a tone so neutral that Nysa straightened up in shock. She was speaking with so much emotion that Nani caught her off guard. Nani didn't even process Nysa's reaction as she was reaching behind the sofa to pull out her black shawl.

"What?"

"Get your shoes on and grab a jacket. We're going," Nani said, the exact same way as she did before, now wrapping the fabric around her shoulders, heading towards the door.

"Nani, wha-" Nysa said, stumbling forwards to watch her walk out the door, hand reaching aimlessly for her hoodie hanging on the banister.

"You're doing my head in, girl. Come on," she tutted, finally addressing her directly, turning to slap her arm lightly. "You want to know so I'm bringing you. Now, hurry up, we don't want to be late."