The cards, part 1

The cards, part 1

The back room of the shop in Pirate's Alley was a far cry from the noise of the city, the carnival colors, the music, and alcohol running freely through the streets.

In that unassuming room, a man, a woman, and an oracle sat at a small table full of junk and trinkets, from sludgy coffee served in a wide brim cup, to sand, tiny bones and seashells.

And then, there were the cards.

Brigitte's Graveyard deck was varied. Large cards, tiny reproductions, Spanish designs, run-of-the-mill poker cards, mysterious designs no one has ever seen, colorful figures from the European tarot, runes lost to time. Anything and everything goes for someone whose business is a final destination.

The oracle knew the cards to be a subterfuge. All the answers were there, in front of her, evident. The trick was to bring them out of those who were ignorant, and those that decided not to forgive themselves because, in the impulsive ways of their youth, decided to run away.

"There's no need to feel left behind, my girl," Brigitte used her most cordial tone with Daria, as she put the decks side by side. "The mysteries still love you. I hear their voices bring it inside my head. A couple of them naughties are glad to see you back and asked me to let you know they are happy to notice you put some meat on your bones, in all the right places.

"But you need to understand, there's no way I'm passing on the chance to initiate Mr., Hottie here in all those little secrets you decided to keep."

"Pick your poison," Brigitte invited Gabriel, displaying an array of decks before him. Though she told no one, it was a little disappointing that he was able to keep it all so tight, at least in appearance. But it was okay, they had no time to lose.

"The Visconti di Modrone," he answered dryly.

"Italian, not my style, but a great choice, for you. It shows something within you is starting to align with your truth," The Lady shuffled. "You come from a long line of tarot readers. I don't like cards much. Damn pictures will force words out of you, but then, I'm just dealing. Split up the deck and let's see who is the first of you to confess. Fun, fun, fun!"

Gabriel did as instructed. Three cards were turned.

"Oh, interesting," Brigitte observed, pointing to the cards. "Let's see what we have here..." Before the couple's eyes, the cards in the deck changed, forming images that emerged from a golden background.

"Curiouser and curiouser, as the saying goes. But this is good, we're getting somewhere. Behold, the moon, the path of oblivion and this, where all our problems begin. Do you mind explaining this card to your husband, Daria?"

Brigitte flaunted the card in front of Gabe before placing it in full view for Dari. It was a large card with a rugged surface, from which outstanding details, colors, even sounds, emerged.