Characters

The place that has
a mind of its own

What does a house dream about?
Happier days, when its walls were not haunted by the cries of the dead, the days before the picture box got buried within the walls...
-The House at Rue Renaud

◇◆◇◇◆◇

The family

"I have seen these things before. Old rituals, courtesy of the rich and the dead. Just throw them in the trash where they belong."
-Daria

"Want to talk about united fronts? Ignorance, superstition, and bullshit. I hope we agree these are the things that our daughter should grow up avoiding."
-Gabriel

"I'll come back tomorrow, and the day after that. You have no idea the stubborn stock you are dealing with."
-Vivienne

◇◆◇◇◆◇

The ghosts, and the dead

"Don't let us die here. Take us to New Orleans, love... We will be made whole."
-Claudette

"Come, mamma! It is so pretty. Don't be afraid, mamma. Don't get lost!"
-Pierre Petit

"I don't think I'll ever say I'm alright, ever, again."
-Monsieur Renaud

"You are jumping to conclusions, dear. I said I'm here to negotiate the surrender of the box without further consequence. There's no offer."
-Lindsey Valois

"When we think of haunted houses, evil is immediately linked to the building. But no one ever thinks that at a point these walls were the material manifestation of a dream."
-Victor Faraday

◇◆◇◇◆◇

The oracles

"I don't know if there's a version of me out there, somewhere in West Africa that is better, bolder, or brighter. I don't have to honor her because my story is the story of the children who were taken away from her. A new mother, shaped for a new land."
-Brigitte

"Life makes no promises. Where Brigitte plays a game with definite outcomes, I play dice."
-Wedo

◇◆◇◇◆◇

The historical figures that
ended up in this story...

"We can still make a believer of you."
-Marie Laveau

"No one that steps at the gates comes back"
-Marie La Fille