Chapter 5: Wei WuXian

Wei WuXian's POV

Location: Earth. 96th Dimension

I didn't have to wait long after returning home for Dimples to find me.

"Weren't you supposed to come for me tomorrow?" I asked, passing him a cup of tea which he sipped like royalty. Maybe he was royal, wherever the hell he was from.

"Yes, but I didn't see the point of waiting. I could sense that you were ready."

Acknowledging his reply with a nod, I fell silent. He didn't attempt to fill it with words either. The peace lasted till nothing but tea leaves were left to tell the tale of the liquid that had occupied the cup moments ago.

"That was refreshing." He announced, cradling the cup. Then slowly placing it back on the table, he reached for my hand, "Wei WuXian, I am sorry for your loss." He said uncharacteristically before schooling his features, "Let's see if we can make it all better, shall we?"

I nodded.

A snap and a half of the devil's fingers transported us to what I knew was the Great Wall of China. I had always wanted to come here with Ah-Wang.

Dimples patted my head; he was a foot shorter than me, so it took him standing on his tip-toes to do so. "If you are successful, you still might be able to do that."

I quirked a brow. "I would appreciate it if you would keep out of my mind." I tried my best to sound polite, but it came out sarcastic and rude as fuck.

'Wei WuXian, try not to crap on this chance.' I scolded myself, lest it was the one way to turn back time. 'Don't be in a hurry to die!'

"Unfortunately, darling, I can not oblige. It's in my job description. I can't turn it off." He shrugged; his eyes drifted to the horizon. I caught a faraway look in his eyes. It was a blink-and-miss moment, but when he met my eyes again, there was only mischief. "So, do you have any questions before you take the plunge?"

"Plunge?" I parroted. Something in the way he had said the word worried me.

"Yep!" He popped the P.

"Figuratively, I presume?" I asked, doubt creeping into my mind.

"Yes, of course," he replied, and pausing for a split second, chirped, "-and literally."

"I am sorry, but what the fuck do you mean?" We were on the Great Wall of freaking China, and it sounded like he needed me to jump off it.

"Well, there is plunging involved." He replied casually.

"Please be more specific." I urged, and he walked a few feet away. "You didn't think this would be easy, did you? How can I trust you to do your best if you don't prove yourself worthy?"

"You didn't say anything about jumping to my death!" I accused, and he laughed. It came from deep within him like I had cracked the joke of the damn century.

It turned freaky when he abruptly stopped. "You have been wishing for death since the accident, Wei WuXian. Your heart is no stranger to me. And you are absolutely right about me not warning you about the dangerous situations this deal would invariably put you in, but I figured you wouldn't have a problem with it. It's not like you have anything left for you here now that he is dead." He reasoned, searching my eyes, "Think about it. What have you got to lose? I have seen your future, Wei WuXian, and trust me, my offer is in your best interests."

I couldn't fault him for what he had said, and the fear that had taken hold of me ebbed away. Still, despite the jumping part, it sounded a little too simple.