Chapter Eight: The Court (Part 1)

POV: Henry

I'm losing control.

I should be resisting her.

I should be keeping this professional.

I definitely shouldn't be dreaming about fucking her in the dressing room of a goddamn boutique.

Yet, here I am.

"Did you decide on one?"

Maya steps back at the same time I do, which I'm sure only makes us look more suspicious.

"Right," she stammers, her cheeks pink with embarrassment. "Um, I was just showing Henry the dress I picked out."

To her credit, the saleswoman looks unperturbed. Maybe she's used to customers fucking when she turns her back. Or maybe she just doesn't get paid enough to care.

"Great! It looks stunning on you, dear. Shall I have that sent to the address on file, Mr. Wallace?"

I nod slowly, not taking my eyes off of Maya. The silky black dress she picked out really does look amazing on her. The open back emphasizes her toned body while still leaving plenty to the imagination. It's the perfect mix of classy and sensual.

In other words, perfect for dinner at the Ironside club.

I'd do well to remember why we're here. Why I have to keep her at a distance, rather than give in to temptation.

She has no idea what she's gotten herself into. No idea who I am.

And this can't last forever.

If the saleswoman hadn't interrupted us, what would have happened just now?

Fuck, this is a mess.

"You should go change," I say, to Maya.

She nods and disappears back behind the curtain, leaving me and the saleswoman alone in the room.

Rather than start up a conversation, I pull out my phone and text Trevor to bring the car. I'm sure he's been tailing us the entire time, but I send him our location too.

By the time Maya has changed back into her normal clothes, he's arrived.The two of us make our way outside to the car, but neither of us mentions the kiss.

"Thank you for the dress," Maya says. "I know it was expensive."

"Of course." I open the car door for her to enter, and she slides into the back seat. "Don't worry about the price. I promise you I can afford it."

I close her door and walk to the other side of the car, but Trevor is waiting for me.

And he doesn't look happy.

"You plan to keep her for the summer, no?"

He's feigning indifference, but I know he's starting to worry about this situation just like I am. He can tell we're growing closer.

"I'll keep her as long as I want to," I hiss.

Better to play the part of careless fool then reveal how attached I'm growing. How tempting I'm starting to find her, even when I know I shouldn't let my emotions dictate my behavior...

"Then, may I ask what you plan to do regarding her...ignorance to the family business?"

I hide my frustration with a shrug.

"Nothing. She doesn't need to know."

"She'll find out eventually. She's a smart girl."

He's right, of course. But I don't have to admit it.