21

We were greeted by hostesses as we enter the mansion, yes, it's not a house, it is indeed a mansion. Their lawn is as big as a football field and the structure of the house is definitely like a mansion to me.

Now I really get it when people say Brian is really loaded. Not just loaded, but REALLY loaded.

"Hey! You made it!" Brian hugged Claire before hugging me.

"Of course, we will make it." Even if it was Claire who answered him, his attention was just on me.

I can tell he is admiring my look. I don't normally wear such revealing dresses which highlighted my cleavage but I was feeling upset earlier and wanted to feel good about myself. Which I think I accomplish by looking at Brian's reaction.

I cleared my throat and it made Brian back into his senses. His face was flushed as I just caught him looking at my chest. Instead of being offended, I find myself amused by his reaction.

I've known him long but I think this is the second time he saw me in this kind of dress. The first time was when we attended his friend's wedding, though it was not as revealing as what I was wearing now, I still showed some skin then.

Claire laughed at him while he scratch his head. 

"Good evening, Ladies!" We were interrupted by a well-dressed woman, she is probably in her late fifties, still looking gorgeous.

"Mom!"

Mom?

"Hey, Son. Would you like to introduce me to your friends here?"

Brian introduced us to his Mom and when he mentioned my name, her eyebrows raised as if she knows me already.

"Cara, I've heard so much about you. Come, have a seat." 

Mrs. Thompson guided us to an empty table, her hand was on my waist keep telling me that she was glad that I could make it tonight.

Before she could even start another conversation, she was pulled by another woman probably her age. She excused herself and left us.

"So, I guess all your family members know me?" I teased Brian. I'm not mad but surprised.

"Well... Yes, I might have mentioned you to some of them." There's still a tinge of red on his cheeks. When I smiled at him it made him relax a bit.

"Where are Michelle and Rose?" I changed the subject.

"Oh, they are here already. Probably mingling around. Let me look for them and get you two a drink." 

Claire and I nodded at him, such a gentleman.

I looked around, there were probably more than a hundred people in here. Some are dancing in the middle where there was a setup of a dance floor, and in front of it is a DJ booth. Some are at their table, eating, and drinking, some are mingling while they have their drink in their hands.

I've never been to this kind of party where everybody is elite people. If it weren't for Claire and the girls, I wouldn't be here. That brings me back to Alex and our fight earlier.

I wonder if she was here.

Of course she is, Brian is her cousin.

My eyes wander to the guests, scanning one by one, searching for a certain brown-eyed girl but to no avail.

"She's not here?" 

I jolted a little when I heard Claire, how is she this good?

"I'm not..."

"Don't even lie, Cara."

"Fine. I don't see her here."

Before Claire was able to speak again, Michelle and Rose came into sight.