3. death's song

NIGHTFALL CAME CREEPING UP SOON, and from the couch I watched skeptically as my father placed on his coat before combing a hand through his onyx hair.

Mathieu watched as well from beside me, glancing between him and I as he seemed to sense that I was worried about something.

"I'll be back in a few moments to open your presents with you, honey," Father said, walking up to me and placing a kiss on my forehead.

I had gotten a few birthday presents from family members the moment it hit midnight, the rest coming later on in the morning from my sister's and stepmother. This was the Aradia family for you.

"Don't be gone for too long," I said and he nodded with a smile.

Mathieu and I watched as he walked out of the door, shutting the door behind him, and I stood up from the couch.

"What're you doing, Kat?" Mathieu sighed, also rising to his feet.

"He's up to something he doesn't want anyone to know about. We should follow him," I said looking down at my outfit. I wore a white dress and a dark green knitted sweater with black boots. It was going to have to do.

"You sure you want to do that? What if it's nothing?" he asked and I gave him a look.

"I told you he was talking to the woman about someone. I think he's in trouble and we should watch out for him. Because I have no magic I'll need your help," I said and he nodded.

"Alright. Because it's your birthday, a small adventure couldn't hurt. Where are we going?" he asked, heading for the door and pausing beside it.

"Out to the garden. Therese told him to cast a spell on the bridge," I informed him and he nodded.

We waited a few more seconds and then Mathieu opened the door and looked out.

"No one's here. Let's go," he said, waving to me to follow him out the door.

Just as I was about to go, a voice spoke, causing me to jump.

"Where are you two going?" Josette questioned. I turned my head and saw my two siblings standing there with a questioning expression on their faces.

At first I thought about lying but just released a sigh and said, "We're following Papa out to the garden."

Josette raised an eyebrow.

"Why?" Sophie questioned.

"I suspect he's doing something suspicious, and I want to make sure he's okay... Do y'all want to come?" I asked and Sophie jumped at the idea.

"Yes."

"I don't think it's appropriate," Josette said, and Sophie scoffed.

"Whether Papa's actually doing anything suspicious, it's better than being cooped up inside with Mother," Sophie said, pushing past me and making her way outside.

Josette hesitated but then released an irritated groan before also stepping outside, and I closed the door behind us.

The night was chilly and the wind was blowing against my face, and I shivered. Together we walked down to the path beside the house and began to follow it out into the woods.

Shadows were looming everywhere, formed by the moonlight shining down on the trees that were shielding the starry sky, and I could swear a phantom was lurking somewhere close by. An uneasy feeling was consuming me as we walked forward on the stoned path, the occasional sound of leaves crunching under our shoes echoing in my ear.