SEVENTEEN

The Den was a lively pub at the entrance of Direfair. The few times we passed it, I didn't pay much attention to the red brick building with moss growing up the walls. It turned out its true character was found inside.

As our little group entered the pub, the first thing I noticed was the smell of alcohol in the air and the chit-chat of the regulars at the bar. The place had a cozy atmosphere to it, unlike the clubs and bars Madison dragged me to just so I could be her designated driver for when she got shit faced.

On the right, the bar was packed with people all nursing their drinks and laughing heartily. The rest were seated at tables and booths on the right. At the far end of the room stood two pool tables and a platform with a karaoke machine. The general decor consisted of black and white pictures of the Loch Ness Monster, rugby jerseys, and neon signs of the logos of beer they served.

"First rounds on me!" Reyna called dips and dragged Alexander to the bar with her.

Rheon led the rest of us to one of the larger booths near the pool tables. I was seated between Rheon and Craig and opposite of Seren and Victor, who were all very keen to tag along when they heard of our plans. Clemmy would have come too if she wasn't too young for places like this.

Craig immediately helped himself to the bowl of peanuts on the table while the rest of us remained silent, waiting for the newlyweds to return with the drinks.

"Hey, cheer up." Seren kicked Rheon from underneath the table upon noticing the frown on his face. He's been in a mood since Matt's unexpected visit and not even the lively atmosphere of the pub seemed to make him relax. Seren's head tilted to me. "He's your mate, do something."

"I..." What the hell was I supposed to do to improve his mood if mine's just as foul? Raking my head for answers, I said the first thing that came to mind, "When you're upset, just imagine a T-Rex trying to do push-ups."

Victor snorted as Rheon's brows furrowed. He opened his mouth to say something but closed it again - he was imagining it. And it's working. A smile tugged at his lips as he ran his hands down his face.

"That's just sad, Ash," Victor chortled, "At least you made Alpha Sour Cream smile."

Rheon threw a handful of peanuts at him before reaching down to lace his fingers with mine. This random act of holding hands was starting to become a habit of his - not that I minded. I found his affection-seeking nature cute.

"Finally!" Craig exclaimed when Alexander placed a tray of shots on the table.

"Reyna thought starting with tequila would loosen everyone up," the latter explained and handed out the tiny glasses and slices of lime.

"Gimme, gimme, gimme," Seren and Craig practically chanted.

I couldn't help but feel sceptic by the yellowish liquid. It reminded me of pee and smelled even worse. "Would it be bad if I said I never did shots before?"

Craig started coughing and looked at me in disbelief. In fact, the whole pack looked as if they've seen a ghost.

"Don't worry, we'll guide you through this." Reyna waved it off and handed me a packet of salt, "First you take the salt and after that the shot and swallow them together. After that, you suckle on that slice of lime. Trust me, you'll love it."

"Alrighty, then," Craig slammed his hands on the table, "who's ready? Cheers!"

We all clinked our glasses together before starting the process. I made sure to take enough salt before downing the shot. The moment the spirits hit the back of my throat; all my senses were burning. I barely swallowed before the coughing started, tears welled up in my eyes, and I swear even my ears were on fire.