Chapter 45 - Deep in the Woods

From a small clearing, head north and turn right at a small stream

From a small clearing, head north and turn right at a small stream. Follow the course of the water to a large rock on which the moss had been removed in a pagan circle and from there into the forest, always following your nose. Then you soon reached the places where wreaths of birch brushwood hung in the treetops, visible only to knowing eyes. From there, it was only a stone's throw to the tiny camp, crudely cobbled together with the resources of the forest and stolen materials. Here in the middle of Sherwood Forest was the camp of Will Scarlet and his band of robbers.

"That was one of my favorite lutes," Alan-a-Dale moaned as they entered the brigand's camp. "I got it from a traveling showman in Madrid."

Campfires in small, dug depressions carried the warming embers, while under roofs of fir branches and straw, the bandits' sleeping quarters could be found. Immediately a few rose in agitated vigilance.

"Hood's still alive?" wondered one of Will's men as he rose and folded his arms before his chest.

"That you actually dare to come here, Hood! Do you think that after losing our contest, you can now come crawling, and we'll take you in?" Will Scarlet grinned smugly. However, that sneer at his victory faded when he saw Robin's serious expression. Will braced himself for the anger that stood with rumbling clouds in the other thief's attitude. "You didn't tell on us, did you, you rat?" threatened Will, but John, standing behind Robin and rubbing his left shoulder, slightly contorted in pain, just shook his head.

"What was that plan, Scarlet? Set fire to half the castle courtyard, put people in danger, and then kidnap the Lady to boot?" asked Robin angrily, his gaze literally stabbing at the surrounding bandits.

"Oho - can't the fine toff take it if we commoners win?"

Robin Hood laughed darkly. It was not a fun, bright laugh but menacing and deprecating. There was not the slightest hint of humor in it. "Do you realize how many of the Sheriff's men are combing the forest at this very moment looking for her? And not only them but people from the Earl and other nobles too, as well as concerned citizens! You have kidnapped the Earl's damned daughter, the fiancée of the son of the Sheriff of Nottingham! And now, three powerful men at once have a reason to burn down this forest rather than let you get away with it! And for what?" Robin's eyes flashed a sharpened blade. "Do you have the amulet?"

Will Scarlett gritted his teeth, and then his gaze slid briefly sideways to the dismayed faces of the surrounding men. You could see that this question and Robin's statement were pressing into his boot like a pointed pebble."No," he finally admitted. It sounded like a growl he forced between clenched teeth. "We frisked the fucking brat from top to bottom. But she didn't have it on her. She must have lost it when she escaped."

"Where is she?" Robin stared at Will. Only a thin thread of self-control and the memory of Marian's admonishing words kept him from merely piercing him with glances.

"If we'd known what we'd be bringing into camp..." Scarlett indicated a direction with a nod, and two men stepped aside, clearing the view of the Lady. "Yet the Earl's daughter was always said to be a gentle maiden!"

Marian was tied to a tree with a rope around her upper body and with another rope on her hands and even her feet. She had been gagged with a coarse piece of linen, and from her tightly shut eyes, she stared viciously at the poachers, glaring. Robin was relieved. She looked battered - but not as terrible as she might have been as a captive noblewoman and wife among a gang of thieves. Especially among thieves who hated nobility above all else.

"That wench fought like the devil possessed her! Headbutted poor Thomas and nearly knocked his tooth out with it!" Scarlet pointed expansively at a man standing beside the tree with a scowl on his face. At a safe distance from the Lady, he noticed well, even though she was tied up. There was no mistaking the reason, for his cheek was swollen and his eye blue.

"A wench who hits with her fist!" the poor fellow indignantly exclaimed, sounding highly indignant. Robin wasn't sure if it was because he was a big strong man who had let a woman hit him or because the thought of a delicate flower with thorns generally outraged him. "She even bit me!"

Robin had to chuckle.

"Well, that's no wonder. After all, that's no way to treat a lady!"

Astonished looks settled on John. As he approached Marian with quick steps, his look alone was enough for the remaining guard to make way quickly - obviously to avoid taking another beating from someone stronger.

The giant approached the Lady and bent down to untie the rough rope around her feet. The rope had already chafed the Lady's delicate skin, and regretfully, he carefully pulled it away, completely disregarding his own injury. For a piece of an arrow, he still protruded from his brawny upper arm, staining his shirt with blood.

Alan-a-Dale smirked at the sight, which made the bystanders gape. Then the giant of over six feet, who would make any soldier tremble, went down on his knees before a delicate woman. Then John slowly rose and smiled with his good-natured manner, which many hastily mistook for a dumb ghost.

"Please forgive me, my Lady. Many of us are not used to such high visitors and sometimes forget our manners before a lady. We are but simple folk... Millers and peasants," spoke good John, taking the gag from the poor maiden's mouth. "I am John," he introduced himself first, "My mother always said a man should treat all women like a lady. That made a simple peasant as noble as a knight," he told them, brown eyes settling on soft features.

"Thank you. Your mother was a very wise lady," Marian commented, her tongue dry and heavy from the gag and her vociferous resistance.

John looked into the young maiden's blue eyes a little longer. His gaze slid down her, then up again, and he tilted his head a little to one side. Only a few seconds - then he suddenly burst out laughing.

The men exchanged astonished looks, and Marian also blinked, not understanding this reaction."I am pleased to meet you, Maid Marian," John said, winking at her. It was then that Marian realized he had recognized her. They exchanged no more than a smile - but it was more valuable than gold coins.

"Since when can you speak more than three sentences at a time, John?" meanwhile Alan-a-Dale teased, leaning casually against a tree as if it was all just an amusing play.

"You'd better watch it, you cheeky guitar player. It would be best if you had your teeth for singing songs, after all," John threatened, and they both grinned as only free men and old friends could do to each other.

After John had loosened the last shackle, he finally nodded to the lady, and Marian didn't ask twice: as fast as her legs would carry her, she rushed to Robin and fell around his neck.