Chapter 54 - The Fox

Gate after gate passed them as they crept through the corridors up to the first floor

Gate after gate passed them as they crept through the corridors up to the first floor. Only one more corner separated them from their destination. Guy strode up the stairs and peered alertly around the corner to catch a glimpse of the corridor leading to the chamber where the lady had been locked up.

"Two guards are at the door," he murmured quietly to Robin, glancing at the man huddled against the wall in his shadow directly behind him. "I'll see to it they leave."

"We need the keys. Picking the lock now would take us too much time," Robin said, and Guy nodded in agreement.

"Wait here. I'll be right back." He was already disengaging himself from cover to step into the corridor. Robin watched him walk towards the soldiers and speak to them. The men nodded obediently, handed Guy the keys to the prisoners' chamber, and immediately moved, heading in the other direction.

As soon as they were round the corner, Robin sprang from cover and quickly bridged the distance to Guy. Meanwhile, Guy slid the key into the door lock, and the click was heard. The sheriff's son pulled the door open, and Robin slipped in without hesitation when there was enough room.

"Marian! We have come to free you." Robin stepped hastily into the room. "Quickly, we must..."

The room was small and barren and... empty.

If one disregarded the six guards who raised their weapons as if at a silent signal and then pointed their sister's sharpened tips at Robin.

Behind him, the door of the chamber slammed shut.

"Robin Hood. You are under arrest for conspiracy against the crown, grand theft, wounding royal soldiers, and other crimes," Guy's voice rose.

Robin let his gaze roam over the guards for only a moment, then slowly turned to Guy. "This is not your first! I should have known it was just a dirty trap and you'd betray me," he said, a tiny hint of bitter disappointment resonating in his voice that he would not have admitted to himself. Secretly, Robin had hoped it wouldn't turn out that way.

Guy's expression remained hard, reminding Robin of his father, who had spent his whole life trying to mold his son in his own image.

"You can think what you like, Hood; I'm not interested in your opinion." Guy of Gisborne stopped at the door, blocking Robin's only escape route. Outside the windows, the guards' blades waited. No way out, no escape.

"And why are you doing this? Do you want to see me AND Marian hanging next to each other so badly?" hissed Robin.

But Guy's eyes only narrowed. "I have a deal with the sheriff. If I bring you, the rebel and conspirator, to him, then you hang alone, Hood."

At that, Robin let out a harsh laugh.

While the guards exchanged puzzled glances, it, on the other hand, fuelled Guy's anger. He loathed that sky-scraping arrogance that had always distinguished Robin. Even now, he was making fun of him.