Vet visit

I don't sleep a wink, spending the night pacing the room in frustration. I tried the door several times but of course it didn't come open. The door won't even open when I kick at it. It must be pretty strong...

Or maybe I'm just weak. A weak Flita who can't even handle a bit of cold.

I'm exhausted and furious as the door opens with Draino on the other side. He comes into my room, closing the door behind him. I scowl at him from my tired eyes.

He sighs and sits down on the untouched bed. I'm sure he can tell I haven't slept in it. He runs a hand along the duvet, looking back up to me.

"Valor, I know you're stressed, a lots happened, but I do care about your wellbeing," Draino states as I cross my arms over my chest and look away from him.

I don't want to talk to him. I know I'm immature, but the way he's treating me is leaving me feel like a child. I know I'm Drainos's pet, but surely I can still have some choices in my life.

"You want some breakfast before we go to the vet?" Draino asks, getting up and heading to the door.

I shake my head

"No, I'm not hungry," I snap, storming out the door and down the hall.

I soon reached the front door with my arms crossed. Draino follows behind, and I pull a coat down as he goes to reach for it. I'm quick to put it on before Draino can help me with it.

Then I see something in his hands I don't like. What looks to be a leash that has me backing up.

"I don't trust you not to run. Besides, it's winter, and as a pet, you're not aloud to be on the streets alone," Draino states, moving closer and grabbing my collar.

I hate the feel of his fingers between the collar and my neck. The collar might not be in any way tight, but I've always hated people touching my neck.

There's a quiet snap as the leash attaches in place, and I glare at him as it drops low with the other end in his hand.

"Don't pull me with it..." I mumble seeing Drainos eyes move to meet mine.

His expression is surprised as his eyes linger on me. I shuffle about feeling nervous, my hands moving up to the point where the collar and leash meet.

I drop my hands again, remembering that Draino doesn't like me touching the collar. Not that I could even get the thing off even if I wanted to.

"Of course I won't pull you with it... though it's best you don't try and run, or it will pull anyway." He responds, and I drop my head as he opens the door.

He leads me out towards the car, my chest tight with nerves. My stomach churning at going to the vets... to be seen like this with Draino, following along like a good little pet.

The world is a blur as the car drives through the Franus part of town. The buildings are in just as good a condition as I remember from the other day. Though the Flita walking past seem even more tired and worn down than usual.

"I hate seeing Flita struggling like that," Draino mumbles, but I don't respond or look to him.

That was me not long ago, and now here I am, being carted around in a fancy car.

We make it to the vets office not long after. Usually, if I did get medical care, it would involve a long line and brief questioning. If we can't afford meds, then they don't bother looking into seeing what's wrong.

The collar and leash are removed once we get in the exam room. It feels strange not to have it there, but I'm also relieved.

"Can you wait outside, I need to ask her some questions, and it's better if she doesn't have to worry about you being here," the vet asks, to which Draino nods and walks out.

It's the same room as the other day, the same posters and furniture even. The smiling Flita is still just as unnerving as last time, though.

"So how have you been, Valor?" The vet asks, sitting on a nearby seat.

Draino has already left the room, though I can't see where he is due to the glass not being see through.

"I've been alright..." I mumble remembering how I tried to run the last time I was in here.

My eyes remain on the door as she speaks agian.

"How are things with Draino?" She asks, noting something on a tablet.

I shrug, looking around, seeing another seat but not wanting to get too comfortable. I want to be out of here as soon as I can.

"Is there anything you want to talk about? It's been a big change?" She asks, her eyes looking my way.

I ignore her agian then sigh.

"No, there's nothing to discuss." I mumble, feeling tired all of a sudden from staying up all night.

Besides, what is there to discuss? I don't even know if Draino has really done anything wrong, per say. He saved me when I was dying, then has been giving me food and a warm place to stay.

"Alright, is there anything that's hurting?" She asks again, and I shake my head.

I feel fine, just stressed and tired... other than last night, I've been sleeping way more than usual.

I am bored, though. There's nothing to do but roam around, sleeping, or eating at meal times.

"Alright, it's good to see you got all your vaccines as a kid. You don't need any new ones, so I don't need to poke you, " she says with a chuckle, then just smiles slightly as I give her a deadpan look.

She gets up, and I watch her closely as she pulls something out from under a cabinet. It looks like a scale.

"Now, I need to record your weight so Draino can know how much you need to gain. Come and stand on the scales for me, " she says, and I begrudgingly agree standing on the scales.

Her face has a look of concern as she puts the result into the tablet. I don't know the measurements being used, and there isn't a screen on the scales anyway. It must be set to show on the tablet instead.

"Alright, come and stand over here against this wall. Stand straight but with your feet flat." She continues, and I move over to a part of the wall that has lines and numbers on it.

Again, she looks to the tablet for the result, her frown deepening. She sighs and brings out a blood pressure device from a cabinet on the wall.

"Alright, I'm going to check your blood pressure. You've had this done before, but while there will be a pinch, you'll be fine, " she states, placing the cuff around my arm as I lift it for her.

It's been years since I've seen one of these. Children get them done sometimes as part of regular checkups, but it's pretty much never done to an adult even if we show up to a clinic.

It does pinch, but I tolerate it, knowing it doesn't last long. She seems happy with the result, though.

She heads over to the door and opens it. Draino is sitting outside, so he turns his head to look at me.

"She's been rather stressed lately. Are there any medications that could help?" Draino asks to my horror.

He wants to drug me?

1287 words

Written 7 May 2023

Published 4 June 2023