Chapter 9

AMARA

The bell rings.

At last.

Those 2  hours of English might have been the longest of my entire life. I yawned as the sound of the bells filled the auditorium. I hadn't slept much this night. Ethan hadn't stopped snoring and I didn't find a way to make him stop, which didn't involve me slapping him. I walked down the stairs and walked out with Becca, a girl in my class.

The auditorium seemed empty, by the fact that the whole hockey team and the basketball team hadn't attended class, because of practice, and the room felt really big without them. Winter season had started, which meant match season had too. As for us, volleyball matches started next week.

We were playing against HPU, our long time rivals, so both our coaches had doubled the intensity of trainings. It didn't bother us. It was snowing outside, so I rushed to my car. Training was in 2 and a half hours, so I had time to chill or do something else. I decided to go grab a coffee, and then head back to my  apartment.

I walked into the Starbucks and waited in line. At this time of the year, all of the coffee shops were packed, they were to make a fortune.

"Double foam vanilla latte" I say, smiling to the Starbucks girl. She doesn't even bother to look back and says

"Name?"

"Amara"I respond briskly.

Gosh, how rude?

She shouts my order over to her colleague, and he scribbles my name down on the cup. I wait for my name to be called.

"Double foam vanilla latte?" The small guy asks. I come up and grab the cup.

"Are you Amanda?" He timidly asks.

"No, but I ordered that. I told the lady at front my name was Amara."

"Oh my god. I'm so sorry. I must have heard that wrong. I'm new here it's my first week" he says in a frighted voice.

"That's no worries." I laugh

"As long as I've got my coffee we'll both be fine".

"Oh" he exclaims shyly.

"It was nice meeting you Amara, and sorry again about the name mix up."

"It was nice meeting you too -Derek". I say, reading his name on the little tag of his uniform.

I turn and walk through the door. I get back into my car, turn on the heating to the maximum and put my cup between the two seats.

I arrive to the driveway of my apartment and park the car. I hurry to get into the lobby, because it's really chilly outside. I walk up the stairs, the elevator being out of service. When I get to the door, I turn the keys in the lock and enter my flat. I throw all my belongings on the little cupboard in the entrance and take off my coat. Sleepily, I fall down on the couch and turn on the TV.

A few minutes later, I feel my phone buzzing. I don't pay much attention to it and continue watching TV. When it buzzes a second time, a few seconds later, I pick it up and see incoming messages.