Chapter thirty-one

I was washing my hands when I heard Nicolas say Oliver's name

I was washing my hands when I heard Nicolas say Oliver's name. A smile tugged my lips after I dried my hands and headed towards the door. Oliver smiled once he saw me and we shared a friendly hug. He was truly a great person that I wished I could've met earlier. But better late than never.

"How was the wedding?" He asked as I came to stand beside Nicolas. His protective arm wrapped around my waist as he innocently drank his coffee.

"It was called off," I said before I motioned to the inside. "Come on in, Evara is still asleep," he smiled as he entered my house and Nico closed the door. I once thought what it would be like to see both of these men in the same room together but I immediately discarded that thought a second after it came to me.

"It's okay. I was notified that someone came in, so I thought I'd come to check just in case," I smiled at him as we all sat down in the living room. Nicolas was acting like a normal person for once, although I wondered if it was just because he knew I wouldn't appreciate his protectiveness at this moment.

"Thank you, Oliver. I completely forgot that you were my emergency contact," I noticed the way Nicolas glanced my way. I met his eyes and mentally told him I'd explain it later even if there wasn't anything special about having Oliver as one of my emergency contacts. I had to choose two for the security company and after Nate, I picked him. He lived the closest to me.

"Well, I'm guessing the trip was well worth it if Nicolas is back," he looked at my fiancé who acted like the cold and closed-off jerk he usually was around new people. I nudged him gently before he took a sip of his coffee. I hated this uncomfortable situation, but to my relief, he spoke up.

"Yes, we had a decent time," he looked towards me. "Do you want to tell him, or should I?" He referred to the shining and most gorgeous ring on my finger. I smiled and glanced Oliver's way.

"He proposed," I held my hand out with pride and saw Oliver's face light up.

"Congrats, Bri," I couldn't stop a smile from carving itself on my face. "Congratulations, Nicolas," Nico smiled and nodded once.

"Thank you, Oliver," I almost rolled my eyes at the formality. But I couldn't judge him all that much. He wasn't all that used to having a fiancé he really liked and didn't probably think meeting my relatives would be that difficult. Or, rather my friend. He knew all of my relatives because of the small world we apparently lived in.

"I'm happy for you two. And especially Evara. I thought that she'd have to grow up without you," Oliver remarked as Nico's hand came down to rest on my thigh. "I assume it was a decent surprise, wasn't it?" Nico smiled.

"It was alright. I was more surprised at the fact that she thought I'd be upset," he met my eyes. Obviously, I was nervous about telling him and feared the outcome. He was a man with more deaths on his hands than any other man I knew and not to mention the fact that he was the soon-to-be mafia don of the Italian mafia. Of course, I was anxious about his reaction. "But I couldn't be happier. I really thought I'd have to have a kid solely for necessity and with a woman I had no interest in," he said, making my heart beat just a little faster. "What do you do, anyway?" He asked before taking a sip of his drink.