In the heat of chaos

(Sarah's P.O.V.)
School had finished and I quickly went to get dad's watch fixed, before getting Tj from daycare. We had even stopped by the Adlers. After we made some cookies and I finished my homework, we went back home. It was 10 in the evening when dad showed up. "You locked the door for once. Good job" he said coming inside and then dropping himself on the couch next to me. "Its 10" I told him and he sighed "I know". Then procceeded to tell me the reason, which I did not really care for. He then promised to bring a cake tomorrow, which he also forgot. Otherwise I would not give him his present. "You brought me a present?" He questioned. But before I could answer him, Tj had woken up. "I'll get her" he said and got up to retrieve Tj. He soon came down again, with my baby sister in his arms. She had puffy eyes from crying as she had her head leaned on dad's shoulder. Dad sat down beside me and placed Tj between us. She was still sleepy and soon snuggled against me to go back to sleep. I soon gave dad his present, the watch I had fixed and a dvd I borrowed from the Adlers. He eventually put the dvd in and turned the movie on. I continued to watch, but soon drifted to sleep aswell.

Dad must have carried me to my bed at some point. Because when I woke up, I was in my bedroom. An explosion had woken me up and I sat up in my bed as my room was slightly shaking. I then got out and quietly called my dad. Opening his bedroom door to reveal an empty bed.  I took a quick look in Taylor-Joy's room. Although she slightly stirred she was still asleep. I walked towards the stairs and then down. Maybe he was downstairs. "Dad?" I called out, searching the ground level for him. Nothing in return. I had turned the tv on to see what was happening. But only an emerceny broadcast telling everyone to stay inside was shown.

NATIONAL ALERT
Primary Entry Point System
Issued An
Emergency Action
Notification

Then I jumped out of my skin at a sudden noise. I turned my head and breathed out as I saw the Adlers dog, Mercy, clawing out our glass doors that lead outside. I sighed and made my way to the front door. I was going to quickly bring Mercy back home. Yet the dog refused to go and I basically had to drag him home. Mercy resisted so much that eventually he managed to escape from his collar. Then taking off. I dropped my hand with an annoyed huff as I stood alone in front of the Adler home. I flinched when I heard some glass break inside of my neighbours home. I slowly turned my head "Mrs Adler?" I questioned and carefully made my way into the house. "Mrs Adler?". Nothing. I made my way to their kitchen through the bar-swing doors. Immediatly slipping on something when I stepped inside, but succesfully keeping myself upright. I looked down and lifted my foot up to see what exactly I had slipped on. I gulped seeing that it was red. It was blood. Again I gulped when I saw the next. With a wide open mouth, completely in shock, I saw Mr Adler with a large neck wound. He was leaned against the fridge. He tried to speak, but couldnt. Then his eyes turned to the right and I followed his gaze. A gasp escaped my lips as I saw Gran hunged over Mrs Adler. Fear ran over my spine as I realized she was taking bites out of her daughters neck. My chest began to go up and down as Gran looked up at me. She made a sort of growling or hissing sound as I stepped back scared. Then I took off as soon as Gran began to move to attack me. I ran out the kitchen, through the livingroom, and out of the Adlers house. The sound of car tyres screeching to the left of me made me stop at the end of the front lawn. It was dad and uncle Tommy. "Get in the truck! Right now!" Dad loudly screamed at me as he got out the car. I noticed he had a wrench in his hand. With a push in my back dad got me out of my deer in head light state. "I'll get Tj" Tommy yelled moving to our house. But before he even was far enough from the truck, the bone-chilling gasping sound came through the Adlers front door. All three of us froze and watched closely to the darkness. The sound of quick, running footfalls came through the neighbours house. I felt my heart begin to race again as the sound came closer and closer. Then Gran ran out the house, before tripping down the deck stairs. She laid flat on her stomach, but then with a jolt moved her head to look at us. She still made that same sound, like she was havibg trouble breathing. It reminded me of a breathing zombie. Gran crawled to her hands and knees before immesiatly charging at my dad. I have never seen an old lady move like that, it was like she forgot that she was not supposed to be walking. Like she was possessed by something. "What do we do Joel!" Uncle Tommy screamed, watching on as Gran ran quicker and closer to my father. Than the sound of cracking bone against metal filled the air around us. And Gran's body fell lifeless to the ground. Both dad and Tommy looked over her to make sure she was dead.