-09-

Emotions...

Maria's eyes fluttered open, adjusting to the sudden brightness that enveloped her. She glanced around, feeling a sense of disorientation washing over her.

"Where am I?" she whispered softly, her voice filled with a mixture of confusion and trepidation. Memories began to resurface, jumbled and fragmented, leaving her struggling to make sense of it all.

And then it hit her.

A wave of realization crashed over Maria, as the last images she could recall flooded her mind. She vividly remembered the sharp, agonizing pain that had consumed her, the sight of blood trickling down her legs, and the terrifying void that followed.

Her heart raced, panic gripping her tightly. Thoughts raced through her mind, desperately trying to piece together what had transpired. Was she pregnant? Did she experience a miscarriage? The uncertainty swirled around her, intensifying her fears.

Tears welled up in her eyes, threatening to spill over. The weight of the unknown pressed upon her chest, leaving her feeling breathless and vulnerable. In the midst of her turmoil, she mustered the courage to confront the truth, to face whatever had befallen her.

With trembling hands, she clutched the sheets beneath her, seeking comfort and grounding. Slowly, she took a deep breath, attempting to steady herself amidst the storm of emotions.

Maria's eyes turned towards the door, her gaze fixated on John, her soon-to-be ex-husband, as he stepped into the room with a somber countenance, casting a shadow of sadness.

"John, what happened?" Maria's voice quivered, her eyes welling up with tears, on the brink of spilling over.

John met her gaze, quickening his pace to reach her side, where she lay on the hospital bed, vulnerable and fragile.

"Maria, you're awake." he uttered, his voice a mixture of relief and concern.

"Please, John, tell me, what happened?" Maria pleaded, her voice laced with trepidation, her heart yearning for answers.

He extended his hand, hoping to offer comfort, but Maria withdrew hers, a painful rejection that pierced John's heart, though he chose to suppress the ache.

"Well, um, I heard your cries and got scared, I dreaded something might have befallen you," he began, his voice trembling with raw emotion. "I panicked and rushed into our room, only to find you sprawled on the floor, your body drenched in your own blood, and-and flowing from your legs."

Maria's tears flowed freely now, mingling with the anguish etched upon her face, as she summoned the courage to ask the question that haunted her deepest fears. "John, please, enlighten me. What did the doctors reveal about my condition? Was I carrying our precious child, only to have a miscarriage?"

As John prepared to utter a response, the door swung open, announcing the arrival of a doctor, whose presence held the promise of enlightenment and solace amidst the despair.

"Mrs. Maria, I see that you have awakened. How are you feeling?" the doctor inquired, his voice resonating with professional concern.

"Doctor, I beg of you, tell me the truth, what happened?" Maria beseeched, her gaze locked onto the doctor's, seeking solace in the knowledge he held.

"I'm deeply sorry to inform you, but you have experienced a miscarriage. It appears you were four months pregnant," the doctor delivered the heartbreaking news with a profound sadness etched upon their face.

"No! No! That can't be true! I would have known if I were pregnant! I had my periods, for heaven's sake! You can't tell me I lost my baby! No! No! Tell me this is a lie!" Maria's voice cracked with anguish as she shouted, tears streaming down her face.