Wattpad Original
There are 6 more free parts

Ch. 13: What Happens in Vegas

By the time we get to the casino hotel it's almost midnight. But the Vegas strip is so lit up that you would almost think it's daytime.

This time I'm sure it was an Uber Black that picked us up at the airport. When we arrive, Gabe makes a quick call to Max. From what I can hear of the conversation, he's checking to see if the meeting is over and if he should bring me up to the penthouse.

That's odd. If Max is still tied up in a meeting, wouldn't Gabe take me there anyway just to wait for him?

Apparently it is the penthouse, just as I suspected. I wonder what you pay for a night in the best suite at this over-the-top hotel. Maybe if you're a high roller it's a moot point and they comp you, but it didn't sound like Max gambles on the regular. At least not enough to get comped the penthouse.

There's a separate elevator for the penthouse suites, apparently. Gabe also points out that there's more than one, but that none surpass the one Max is in.

"It seems a little over the top to me, honestly," I tell Gabe as the elevator whisks us higher and higher.

"These things matter," Gabe says, leaving me to wonder, matter to whom? I have a feeling I'd be impressed by even the cheapest room at this luxury hotel, casino and resort all in one.

"So, is Max back?" I ask Gabe, and he gives me a puzzled look.

"Back?"

"From his meeting."

Gabe smiles. "He's waiting for you."

Before I can question him further, the elevator door opens directly into a lavish entranceway. Gabe sets my overnight bag on the ornate couch directly across from the elevator, then steps back into the elevator again.

"It's right through there," he says, gesturing toward a set of double doors made of highly polished wood. Then the elevator door slides shut, and he's gone. I reach for the gold handle on one of the doors, but before I can turn it, the door swings open and Max is standing on the other side.

He's wearing a tailored navy suit with a white t-shirt, and my breath catches in my throat when I see him. For some weird reason, I suddenly feel nervous. It's like I'd forgotten how incredibly hot he is. Or maybe it's just because this is the first time I've seen him since those late-night conversations about my fantasies. And his.

He has just a hint of stubble, like it's been awhile since he shaved, and I'm already imagining what it will feel like brushing against my skin.

"Hadley." He says my name, and now I'm staring at his mouth. I feel giddy with the thought that we have all night to do whatever we want.

And right now, I can't remember ever wanting anything as much as I want to be with Max.

"You have a bag?" he asks me, and I nod and glance back toward the entranceway. Max steps through the door, brushing past me close enough that I catch the scent of his cologne. It fills my senses. It's so distinctively Max.

He picks my bag up and brings it back inside, setting it on a chair.

"We'll take care of that later," he says, then shuts the doors behind us and flips the lock to the Do Not Disturb setting.

"Take off your jacket," he tells me.

"Why don't you take off yours?"

He smiles, but instead of taking his jacket off, he walks over close to me and reaches out a hand for mine. I slip out of it, and he lays it over the back of the chair where my bag is. I take a step to the side and set my purse down too, glancing around the penthouse.