Chapter 16 - Grace

As I entered the nursery with Will and Debra, Doc mindlinked me that it was over and that it was Blood Alpha Sands.

That man can't see anyone happy. I'd like to believe the Council will do something, but they probably won't. Unless he killed someone without provocation or a direct attack on a Mahani, he would get a lecture and maybe a fine.

Unlike the Blood Alpha who had attacked Nicolas. He and the two brothers were sentenced to death. The Blood Alpha for what he did to Nicolas and the brothers for attempting to kill Nicolas and the Blood Alpha.

If it makes it to the Council and can be proved, rape is a death sentence. A fated mate will feel the rape, but even one without a mate will have trust issues after. It's strange how different we are from humans. The only wolves that are promiscuous are those without fated mates.

I spent the next few hours playing with all the children. The little ones cleanse my soul. Since I didn't have much, if any, of a childhood, it's my time to play and act like a kid. My father said I am what they call a Little, someone who will age regress when truly happy. I just know I love playing and acting like a kid when I can.

I was rocking Sydney when Nicolas appeared with his mate. The children ran to him but stopped suddenly when they saw Kayla. Her wolf was showing, and she was excited as well as afraid. My heart went out to her, but I knew what to do.

I got out of the rocker and walked over to them.

"Congratulations! Here you go!" With that said, I handed her a sleepy baby, which she took happily. Once she smiled broadly, Debra ran over for a hug and kiss.

"Are you my new Mama?" My heart melted, along with every adult in listening distance.

"Yes, I am," Kayla choked out. She was close to tears. Nicolas called Will over, and she greeted him, too. It was such a beautiful scene.

I excused myself and left, heading to the med wing to tell Doc they were back. I could have used the mindlink, but I wanted a hug, too.

"Doc, how is everything going over here?"

"You will not believe it. The Blood Alpha that attacked Nicolas found his fated mate two days before, in a human mall of all places, rejected her, and gave her an Alpha command never to tell a soul. Needless to say, she was dying, and no one knew why."

"Will she be okay?" We see so much destruction in our job. Nothing surprises me anymore. It's just sad.

"She will recover. Once she is medically stable, she can go to our rehab for rejected mates." She said. "Where are the children?"

"With their parents," I said. I then sent through the mindlink everything I saw and heard.

"Aww! How beautiful!" Her smile slipped a bit. "I'm going to miss them so much," she said unhappily.

"Me too." Doc gave me a big hug, which I desperately needed.

"Something else happened," Doc said softly.

"What?"

"Kayla's brother, Keith, was Noelle's mate."

I was too stunned to answer and just stared at her. Oh, no. This isn't good.

"Does Holly know?" I finally got out.

"Not yet. Any ideas? Normally, I would ask Nicolas, as he's her Gamma, but he's not back to work yet."

"We could ask Gamma Two." I was not sure about that, and it showed in my tone. I should be the one to tell her. She could come to stay with me, and if she needs it, she could talk to Gamma Two, I decided.

"I'll tell her."

"This could go south quickly. Holly never truly got over the death of her sister. Does she still believe Noelle should have run away instead of fighting?"

"Yes. Since Holly's mate died before she came of age while Noelle's mate was alive somewhere, she wishes her sister had gone for help. We now know help would have arrived in time, but no one knew then. I asked Holly once what she would have done had it been me. Her answer was instantaneous, that she would have died saving me. It doesn't stop her guilt, though."

"Keith said that when she died, he heard her scream the name 'Holly'. He and his family prayed to the Moon Goddess that she survived. They wanted Noelle's death to mean something. They want to meet her."

"He's not bitter against Holly? That's incredible. Most wolves would hate her." This pack was unlike any pack I've met. First, an Alpha excepts a Gamma, then this. "Hey Doc, isn't another brother a Mahani mate?"

"Yes, and I envy her. She is getting into a great pack." Doc said.

I felt the hint of sadness that sometimes leaks through all the walls the Gammas have helped Doc build to protect others from her pain. She had the misfortune of meeting her mate.

He didn't get the choice of whether to reject her or not. He was killed before any words passed his lips. He was evil deep into his soul. They met on a mission. The Alpha in charge killed him without thought. It is standard procedure when they are born evil. Everything else goes before a council.

"What makes you think the brother would accept his mate? He is the second in command. He may have issues with a lesser mate or an Alpha." I stated as we walked outside.

"Just a feeling," she said with a smile. It faded quickly as we got back on topic. "When do you think we should tell her?"

"We?" I stopped to look at my big sister. 

"I want to be there in case something goes wrong." 

"Thank you. I appreciate it." My relief sounded in my voice as I am not looking forward to telling her anything. How was I going to tell Holly? My heart was breaking just thinking about it. She isn't going to take this well and I'm glad for any help I get.

Doc and I separated a few minutes later with plans to meet up at my house, and I headed for the store in town. Holly is going to need comfort food! And maybe a new stuffie. Or maybe I need a new stuffie...

"Alpha Three to Delta Four," I mindlinked as I walked.

"Go ahead, Alpha Three." My bestie responded.

"Can you come after your shift? Plan on spending the night, okay?"

"I'll be there in an hour," her voice sounded worried and I cringed a bit. She thinks I need comfort. I did my best to keep my feelings out of the link.

"Thanks, Holly."

*******

How do you like the story so far? I'm enjoying the writing -- the editing -- not so much.
--April