Rukmini

Rukmi, brother of Rukmini proposed that she should be married to his friend Shishupala, the crown prince of Chedi. Shishupala was also a friend of Jarasandha and hence an ally of Rukmi.

Hence, Rukmini approached a Brahman to send her message to Lord Krishna. She asked Krishna to come to Vidarbha and take her to avoid a battle where her relatives may be killed. She suggested that he do this when she was on her way to the temple. Rukmini asked him to claim her to marry her. Krishna, having received the message in Dwarka, immediately set out for Vidarbha with Balarama, his elder brother.

Meanwhile, Shishupala was extremely happy thinking of his marriage with Rukmini. The wedding arrangements continued

After sometime the marriage rituals commenced. Rukmini went to the temple to worship Gowri. She worshiped Gowri and prayed: "Let only Sri Krishna become my husband." She was not aware of Sri Krishna's having come to the town. She was worried about the happenings. Rukmini completed worship of Gowri and came out of the temple. Immediately Sri Krishna brought his chariot, made her mount it and drove away towards Dwaraka.

Jarasandh and others, when they came to know of this incident became angry and went after Sri Krishna. While Balarama engaged most of them and held them back, Rukmi involved in a direct war with Krishna.

When Krishna was about to kill him, Rukmini requested that her brother's life be spared. Krishna, generous as always, agreed, but as punishment, shaved Rukmi's head and let him go free. There was no greater shame for a warrior than a visible sign of defeat.

At Dwaraka, Krishna was married to Rukmini