Chapter 27

"Donald, when's the Olympiad?" Devlin inquired.

"A month and a half from now," Donald answered. "Why?"

"I just wanted to know so that I know when to prepare a celebration," Devlin claimed. "I know you and Gray will definitely place in the top two. Who knows, maybe you'll both tie for first place?"

"I believe in Donald beating Gray," Kingsley said.

"Gray is a formidable opponent," Donald hummed. "Maybe Dev is right and I'll tie with Gray for first place,"

"I know the future," Devlin joked. "The two of you will definitely both place first in the Olympiad's middle school division," He began to list down some names. "Who should we invite to the celebration? Of course we'll invite Auntie, and Stephen, also Stephen's mom, and I want Changhui to come if he's not busy..."

"What about Gray's other friend, Bryce Oh?" Kingsley questioned.

"I already told you," Devlin's smile disappeared. "I absolutely hate that fucker. I don't trust that little shit,"

'He really hates Gray's new friend,' Donald noted. 'He didn't act this way towards Stephen Ahn, but he absolutely hates Bryce Oh. Gray didn't even mention anything bad happening within his friend group, but Dev seemed to hate Bryce immediately upon meeting him,'

"I trust your gut feeling then," Donald agreed. 

XXX

Devlin ended up coming across Manwol when they were about to beat up Kenny. He pulled up his hood and put on a face mask as he quietly approached the crowd, acting as if he were a member that had arrived late.

'There are so many of them,' Devlin started to grow nervous. 'But I'm strong. A lot of these guys must be fodder strength. I can handle all of them. And Kenny will also be fighting back because if he just stands around and watches, I will leave him here to suffer his canon fate,'

"Grab him," Changyeon pointed at Kenny.

As two members grabbed Kenny, Devlin intervened by kicking Changyeon in the groin. He picked up the fallen wooden beam and started hitting Changyeon's head. He stomped down hard on Changyeon's fingers, ensuring that he heard at least one bone breaking. 

"CHANGYEON!"

"Kenny Ji, if you want to survive, fight for your survival!" Devlin shouted. "You have a little brother to go back to, so don't die here!"

'Oh my fucking Arceus, that voice is Devlin's,' Kenny realized.

"KENNY!" 

'Wait, that voice belongs to—'

Jake Ji and Dean Kwon arrived and began to also fight against some of the Manwol members. 

"Kenny you jerk!" Jake shouted. "You were going to just stand there and let them beat you up!?"

"Jake, Dean, what are you two doing here!?" Kenny demanded.

"We overheard Devlin saying he was gonna go and rescue you and so we followed him," Dean answered. 

The four of them continued fighting and were actually winning. Devlin was actually easily beating his share of opponents. The main problem was that there were so many of them. But Devlin knew he had enough stamina to deal with them, especially since they weren't that strong.

Suddenly, Devlin began to struggle to breathe. His whole body became engulfed in pain. He fell to his knees and began clutching at his chest. 'W-What's going on!? IT HURTS SO MUCH!'

Some Manwol members decided to take advantage of his vulnerability and were about to hit him in the head with wooden beams. Jake managed to punch both of them just in time so that their swings missed. Devlin let out a very loud scream before falling unconscious.

"W-We didn't do anything!" The Manwol members all fled in fear, thinking Devlin was dying or something.

"Devlin!" Kenny knelt down by his side and checked for a pulse. "He's still breathing, but we need to get him to the hospital!"

XXX

"DEVLIN!" Donald burst into the hospital room and rushed over to his unconscious brother's side. 

"You're..." Jake and Dean both recognized Devlin's brother as the same boy who had invited Jake to join the Union just a few days ago. "Donald Na?"

"Tell us what happened," Kingsley ordered as he walked over to Donald's side and placed a comforting hand on his shoulder.

"I left Manwol and Changyeon wanted to punish me for it," Kenny informed. "Devlin appeared out of nowhere and started fighting. The four of us fought against Manwol and then Devlin suddenly started falling to his knees and clutching his chest while screaming in pain before collapsing,"

"So it's Manwol's fault then," Donald determined. "I've been meaning to deal with them eventually. This incident just sped things up,"

"You're going to take on Manwol by yourself?" Dean asked in disbelief.

"I'm bringing the entire Union with me," Donald answered.

"Devlin already dealt a whole lot of damage to Changyeon so you won't have to worry too much about him," Kenny informed. "He broke some of Changyeon's fingers. That sort of brutality is to be expected from a former Cheongang executive,"

That caught Donald and Kingsley's attention. "Former Cheongang executive?"

"He told me that he used to be part of Cheongang and that he was considered as a successor before he left the gang life years ago," Kenny revealed. "Did you not know? He never told you?"

"Leave," Donald ordered, not wanting Jake, Kenny, or Dean to be around at the moment.

The three boys left without saying anything else to them. 

"My brother was never in a fight club," Donald realized. "He told me that the job he got that paid well back then was in a fight club. I never once questioned it since underground fight clubs do exist. I just...I wanted to believe him. I didn't think he'd lie to be about it,"

Kingsley patted Donald's back. "He didn't want you to worry about him,"

"He was part of a gang, Kingsley," Donald said. "He's lucky to have been able to leave without too serious injuries, especially considering the gang was Cheongang. It actually make sense now. Changhui is the current leader of Cheongang and he's dating my brother. They knew each other from when Dev was part of Cheongang,"

"What if he had been seriously injured? What if Cheongang did to him what Manwol had intended to do to Kenny? What if Cheongang had crippled Devlin?"

Word Count: 1005

Donald finally knows that Devlin used to be part of Cheongang.