Chapter 32

JARED'S POV

I raked my hand through my hair, tugging on the brunette strands harshly. Gia gazed at me nervously, gulping as she copied my actions, shaking her head.

"How did this even happen?" I demanded, running my hand down my face, glaring at my friend who I was more than upset with right now. I understood that she didn't mean for Anna to be taken, but she had let her guard down and it had resulted in Anna's Father showing up on the doorstep.

"We assumed it was you at the door, and I know that you and Anna are going through a tough time right now. I just came to the conclusion that you were both talking things through," Gia responded, her face sorrowful as Clara nodded at her, letting her know that it was okay. "The TV was so loud and-"

"Gia, it's fine," Clara muttered, shooting me a wide eyed look. "Jared is obviously just worried, and we need to just focus on finding Anna for the moment. Nobody blames you."

Dylan scratched at his stubble as he hummed, looking tired.

"How did he even get into town without the warriors spotting him?" I asked, my voice strained as I began to shake. "I thought they were keeping tabs on him."

Dylan nodded, clicking his tongue. "They were, but they caught Amelia's scent, and that distracted them. I'm starting to think that it was actually meant to be a distraction."

Raising my brows at my Alpha, I began chewing on my fingernail, muttering to myself. "You think that Amelia is working with Anna's Father? I don't know about that. Amelia is the type of person to work alone."

Gia and Clara both nodded in agreement, causing Dylan to shrug. "I understand that, but maybe she saw her chance and took it. Maybe she realised that she wasn't going to be able to get to Anna without teaming up with somebody."

"Right," I stated, bracing my hands on my wheels. "I don't care about the ins and outs. I need to find my mate."

My heart was racing from within my chest, and I began to pace, my wheels gliding against the hardwood floor with ease.

"The warriors are out as we speak tracking Amelia's scent," Dylan informed me, but I shook my head, cursing to myself.

I was furious that I couldn't shift and track my mate along with them. What kind of mate was I? I couldn't even head out to find her. I couldn't protect her. It made me feel pathetic.

"Jared, I'm so sorry," Gia told me, making her way over and placing her hand on my shoulder, but, I shrugged it away.

I was upset with her, but it was just because I needed someone to direct my anger towards. I hadn't expected Gia to be so inattentive, and it frustrated me. How was I ever supposed to put my trust in her again? Especially when it came to my mate?

Suddenly, we heard crying from upstairs, and Clara sent me an apologetic look, excusing herself and making her way up the stairs to tend to her children. Dylan made his way towards the front door, whipping his T-shirt off and throwing it down on the floor.

"I'm going to go and join the fighters," he informed us, also pulling off his shorts before he shifted, his large wolf quickly appearing on the patio.

"I'll go too," Gia told me, dropping her gaze and shuffling out of the door to also morph into her wolf, following Dylan as they raced across the field.

"Fuck!" I yelled loudly as I threw one of the cushions from the couch across the room, the fabric splitting as it hit the wall opposite me, feathers floating through the air.

Clara heard my outburst, and she came rushing down with Sonny in her arms, his tear stained face staring at me. I instantly relaxed after seeing him, knowing that it wouldn't be fair on him to become loud and agitated. He didn't need to see that. He was only a child.